A Magical Start to the New Year!: The Ancient Magus’ Bride




Greetings, fabulous peoples of the Internet!  Welcome to my first review of 2018!  After my month long hiatus, there were a couple of shows that I had my eye on for reviewing.  This first pick was not only one of those shows, not only was it one of the newest shows of the Fall 2017 season, but it’s also been claimed to be one of the best shows of the year.  Does it live up to the hype?  Well, sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s review on The Ancient Magus’ Bride!
Chise Hatori is sold into slavery in a world where magic exists with a modern world.  In the pilot episode’s opening moments, she’s bought by a mysterious and almost terrifying mage named Elias Ainsworth.  Chise is then immediately made his apprentice, and, by episode one’s end, his fiancé (no lie, that really happens).   The series from that point on follows Chise and Elias as they go on various missions and adventures using magic to help them along the way.  We also learn about Chise’s origins as a Sleigh Beggy, a being that absorbs magic around them at the cost of a short life.  And yeah, that’s it.
I have to admit, hearing a lot about this series, I expected a good bit from it.  In the end, it wasn’t what I expected it to be, but I loved every minute of it!  So overall, I give The Ancient Magus’ Bride an 8.5 out of ten.  Again, there was a lot of hype for this show, so I expected a lot.  But what I got in watching the show almost to its entirety was not what I had expected.  For one, something that I noticed with the show was just how relaxed it was.  The setting and atmosphere of the whole series is just so calming that it almost feels like nothing is being rushed or in jeopardy.  But watching the trailer for the series, you never would have seen that coming.  Thinking about it now, it reminds me a lot of  Mushishi, and in some regards, both series are very similar.  Both are very calming and laid back, and the conflict in the series doesn’t seem all that urgent.  That aside, most of the characters are pretty likable.  Granted, Chise can be a little boring sometimes, but she’s not a bad character.  Still, I think of all the characters, Elias tends to outdo her in personality and entertainment value.  In fact he’s my favorite character so far in the series. 
However, going back to the subject of the show’s atmosphere, it can be a bit of a downside and a turn off for fans.  If you like your everyday shonen action show, then this show is not going to please you.  Still, it’s worth the watch even if something slow and relaxed in mood isn’t your thing.  Heck, I gave it a shot and am loving every minute of it!
So, if you want a magical start to the new year, give The Ancient Magus’ Bride a whirl!  The entire show is available on Crunchyroll and Funimantion.  Funimation has also been airing the English dub as part of their fall simuldub, and also comes highly recommended from yours truly.  Well, that’s all for now!  Tune in this Thursday for my first Talkative Thursday when I talk about a certain character from one of my starred reviews of 2017!


-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?