This is (Not) A Re-Review: Evangelion



Greetings, fabulous ladies and gents of the Internet!    And if you haven’t read the title already, Neon Genesis Evangelion has been a running theme this week.  After watching the entire series recently, I think it’s time that it got a second chance at looking over again.  Back in April my review on it, I stated it was a classic that deserved another shot.  Even with what I saw at that time, I was still pretty impressed.  Heck, it’s one of my starred reviews for a reason!  And so, without further adieu, let’s (not) get started on this week’s re-review of Neon Genesis Evangelion!
Ok, so for a first in Hanime on Anime, I’m actually going to skip the synopsis of the series.  For one, if you read my Talkative Thursday post, you probably got the gist of the series.  Plus if you’ve seen it already, you know what happens.  And second, I thought my original synopsis summarizes the series pretty well (plus that saves time having to rewrite it).  However, I will say that beyond what I saw the last time I reviewed the show, things get a lot darker as we examine Shinji’s state of mind as well as those of Shinji’s classmates and staff at Nerv and learn the organization’s true intentions in initiating the Human Instrumentality Project.
Let’s get to the point here; I give Neon Genesis Evangelion an 8.5 out of ten, one full point more than my last review.  After picking up where I left off last time, I was blown away by what I saw.  People more often than not tend to either love or hate the series, and I feel I’m on the fence; I really like the series, but feel there are some things that keep me from loving it.  But what I do love about the series most of all is the depth, and admittedly, the dark tone.  This was a series that was not afraid to go to some dark places  It’s bold and daring, and when done right, it can be intriguing as well as entertaining.  Plus, watching how far the series goes, you can tell that there was a lot of work put into it.  There’s a reason why this series is still talked about twenty years after its release.  Plus, who doesn’t love the Eva Units?!  Those are some of the coolest mechs in anime as well as some of the most memorable.  I know I’ve said before that I find no reason to have a giant robot, but I would love one of these!  Still, besides it’s giant robots or depth, there are some things that could’ve been a lot better.
Ok, while I love the depth of Evangelion, there’s a limit to how well done it is.  And that limit came in those weird introspective moments that Shinji goes through from time to time in the series.  These scenes were not only strange, but they were also tedious and boring.  There were times they couldn’t be taken seriously and even hilarious.  Speaking of which, let’s talk about that ending:  IT SUCKS!!  While many people claim that the last two episodes were the ultimate downfall of the series, I think it really starts to go downhill at episode twenty to the end-yes, even that one episode with Kaowru.  The series infamously suffered budget problems during its production, and from episode twenty to the end, you could really see the quality drop.  Still, with the last two episodes being nothing but introspective moments with all of the characters, the finale is very unsatisfying.  Finally, Shinji is still admittedly a big weakness in the show in that he is a weak character in that, well, he’s a wimp.  Still, in spite of having too much depth and a wimpy protagonist, this is not a series you should miss!  And plus, if you read my Talkative Thursday post, you know that I’ll go to bat for Shinji as one of the most underestimated characters in anime.
So overall, this is a staple in anime that you should definitely give a chance, lousy ending, wimpy hero, or giant robots or not.  It’s been pretty hard to find the series online, but there are DVD copies are available on Amazon.  And so that ends this week’s re-review.  Next Sunday I’ll be doing a new review that is not Evangelion related…hopefully.

-Hanime on Anime






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?