The New Show in Town: Tokyo Ghoul

Finally!  This week I get to review what may be the most talked about anime of the summer!  That’s right, this week I’m reviewing Tokyo Ghoul!  I wanted to wait until I was a couple of episodes in before I did a review.  Well, I’ve already seen four episodes already.  So I’m going to go right ahead and start.
Tokyo Ghoul follows Ken Kaneki, a young college student who is also part ghoul.  It all started with a date gone horribly wrong.  What started out as a pretty great time ended in disaster when Kaneki realizes that his date is a ghoul, a creature that eats humans.  After a brutal attack in a construction site, a couple of iron beams fall on both Kaneki and the ghoul.  This kills the ghoul, but severely injures Kaneki.  Then in an attempt to save his life, doctors try to save Kaneki by transferring the ghoul’s organs to him.  After this “life-saving” operation-if you could call it that-, Kaneki becomes a half-human, half-ghoul being.  From that point onward, much of the series chronicles Kaneki’s adjustment to this situation.
Though I haven’t seen much of the show-mostly because it just recently -, thus far, I’ve been very pleased! That’s why, for the time being, Tokyo Ghoul gets four out of five stars.  The animation is well done, enough said.  And despite the fact that there is very little going on at the moment, the plot is pretty well done.  Although, I could be wrong when I say that there is little going on because if you’ve seen the latest episode,  you know that there is a lot going on.  I don’t tend to go for horror, or at least I claim that I don’t.  But I have to admit, I like seeing monsters, and that’s what really got my attention with Tokyo Ghoul; there certainly is a “creature feature” in this show.  However, there are times when this gets a little out of hand, which leads to the next topic.
Despite all the good things that I have said about Tokyo Ghoul so far, there certainly are some bad things about.  The big one, well, really has to deal with level of comfort.  If you’re not comfortable with the idea of people being eaten, this is a show to avoid (then again, this same idea is seen in Attack on Titan, if you think about it.  And that’s been extremely popular now.).  What makes it even worse is the fact that the ghouls in the show can easily pass off as humans, which makes the idea of eating people even worse.  But aside from that, there were some questions about the show-and more spoilers-that I had.  For instance, why is it that ghouls can’t eat human food, and yet they can drink coffee?  And also, whose idea was it to put the organs of a dead ghoul into Kaneki?  Okay, I’ll admit, that’s a bit rhetorical, and the doctor probably didn’t know that the girl was a ghoul.  Still, it does bring that question up.  Anyways, the biggest thing to watch out for is the fact that people get eaten.

While watching this show, I have compared Tokyo Ghoul  to another anime.  Of all the animes that I’ve seen, one of the darkest and most brutal of them was Hellsing Ultimate (as well as the original Hellsing anime).  Though both series are pretty violent and pretty gory, I think that Tokyo Ghoul is just a notch darker than Hellsing-and that’s coming from a Hellsing fan.  It all comes down to the fact that people are getting eaten.  Now I will admit, this is not an orginal idea in anime.  Hellsing has this somewhat, and I mentioned Attack on Titan earlier, which for a fact has that all over the place.  But think about this: most of the titans eat humans by choice, and Alucard doesn’t necessarily eat humans, but attacks them with gusto.  Kaneki, on the other hand, refuses to eat humans, despite the fact that he’s half-ghoul.  This is a huge conflict with Kaneki as well as the show because Kaneki still clings to his human half even though his ghoul half tells him otherwise.  And that’s what takes the dark level up a notch.  That, and people get eaten!
So to finish this week’s post, Tokyo Ghoul, though new to the anime scene, has made quite the impression.  It’s a pretty good show, but it’s pretty dark because-once again-people get eaten!  The Japanese dub is currently streaming online, and I have found two places where the show can be watched.  I’ve seen all four current episodes on YouTube.   They’re not in perfect quality, but there good none the less.  But thr safest and guaranteed site to find the episodes is funimation.com.  Funimation-an American anime company that produces English-dubbed anime- bought the rights to the show earlier this year and is streaming the episodes.  However, to catch the latest episode, you have to subscribe to Funimation.  Finally, before I sign off, below is a link to the promotional video for Tokyo Ghoul.  Check it out when you get a chance! It’s really good!  Anyways, that’s all I have.  As always, stay posted for more!


-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?