Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month of August: Mao Sadao

Wow.  I can’t believe that it’s that time of the month (and no, not that time of the month!-could’ve sworn I’ve used that joke before).  This month certainly has been very busy.  Aside from the fact that there was no post for the very first of August because I was out of town, I’ve been getting adjusted to being back at school-as many of you may know, I’m a full-time college student.  So yes, August was an exceptionally busy month for this blogger.  This also affected the decision for this month’s Character of the Month.  There wasn’t that much to go on; I only did two reviews this month.  But I did come to a decision.  So, enough of my excuses and woes, and onto this month’s Character of the Month: Mao Sadao, a.k.a The Dark Lord Satan, from The Devil is a Part Timer.
Seeing that this character was from last week’s post, I’ll be a bit brief with the synopsis.  In the world of Ente Isla, the Dark Lord Satan rules with unquestioned authority.  But after an attack by Emilia the Hero, he decides to retreat through a portal, vowing to return once he has regained his strength.  But his plan goes down the toilet when he finds himself in modern-day Japan.  Now forced to live as a normal human being, he- as well as one of his generals Alciel-rents an apartment, gets a job at a fast food restaurant, and changes his name to Mao Sadao.  So now his new objective goes from ruling Ente Isla to dominating the fast food industry.
Now I have to admit, having Satan as Character of the Month is a bit creepy, but Mao is certainly an interesting character in Part Timer.  This is mostly because of the fact that he’s, hello, Satan.  And there are certainly moments when his abilities come in handy.  For instance, after a devastating earthquake, Mao transforms into his Satan form, which allows him to save Chiho-one of the other characters and the major love interest.  We see this transformation quite a few times throughout the series.  On the other hand, there isn’t that much depth to Mao.  There isn’t any real background or detail to Mao except that he was the Dark Lord Satan.  Though this keeps the show at a pace that focuses on its immediate surroundings, it doesn’t make him all that interesting.  Still, the idea of having Satan work at fast food restaurant is pretty interesting.  Dark, but interesting.  So serve up that burger and a crispy side of fries- and don’t worry about taking over the world right now-cause you’re Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month!
And with that much said, I think I’ll end this post.  But, not before I make an important announcement.  The month of September will be a special month.  Why?  Because it’s my Birthday!  And to celebrate, I will be doing nothing but reviews of some of my personal favorite animes.  So be sure to stay tuned next Sunday and throughout the month to read about some of my favorite animes.  Until then, have a fun and safe Labor Day!

-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?