Yet Another Horror Anime: Another

Salutations ladies and gents!  You know what time it is!  And in continuation with this month’s Halloween theme, I’ll be doing Another horror anime review-should this not be a clue?  Now last week I know I said that Hellsing Ultimate was one of the goriest animes I had ever seen.  Well… I kinda lied.  Now, this week’s anime is one of the goriest I’ve seen.  Why? I’ll get to that in a minute.  In the meantime, let’s get to the review on this week’s horror anime, Another.
Another centers around Koichi Sakakibara, who transfers to Yomiyama  Middle School in his hometown of Yomiyama.  While he’s there, he meets a girl named Mei Misaka, who wears an eye patch on one eye and seems to appear and disappear without warning.  After this encounter, a number of strange and horrific deaths start to happen among Koichi’s classmates and teachers.  Koichi and his classmates learn that a curse plaguing the class for nearly thirty years is responsible for the deaths.  This becomes the central plot as Koichi and his friends try to solve the mystery of this curse.


Now like I said, this anime was one of the most violent and goriest animes I’ve seen, mostly because of the numerous deaths.  But despite that, I give the series a four out of a five-star rating.  With violence aside, the story is actually very interesting and very intriguing.  It certainly makes for a great suspense thriller.  Also, animation is pretty well done.  Everything is pretty well drawn, even the violence.  And in general, horror fans will love this anime!  It’s got all the thrills, chills, and kills that the genre has to offer.  Now that I’ve said all of the good things about the series, I now have to go onto the bad things about it.
The biggest downside to Another, and I’ve mentioned it numerous times already, is the violence.  I’m not lying to you when I say that the deaths in this series are some of the most terrible things I’ve seen in a show.  Among the many deaths that we do see include a girl getting stabbed through the neck with the end of her umbrella after falling down some stairs, another girl getting hung by electrical wires, and among the worst deaths, a teacher committing suicide in front of his students.  Yeah, having seen this series already, I can testify, it’s really bad.  And this may be a turn off for a lot of people.  Though I do sympathize with those people- I’m no horror fanatic myself-,  I will defend this show on its behalf and say that there are good things happening.  Like I said earlier, it has a great story and the animation is pretty good.  And besides, there’s a happy ending.  Who doesn’t love a happy ending?
So to conclude, Another is a gory and violent anime, but when you look past it, it’s actually not that bad.  And again, happy ending- well, in actuality, it’s a bittersweet ending.  Now, to watch Another, you can watch it online at site like Crunchyroll and Hulu.  The series is also in English, so you can buy it in stores wherever anime is sold.  Now, usually, I say that I’m done for this week and to stay tuned for more, and I’m also aware that this was a short post.  But I do have some
announcements that I would like to make before I do that. 


First off, I know that about two months ago now, I made a post about Hanime on Anime getting its own Pinterest account.  It’s still going to happen, but it’s been going a little slow.  This past semester has been pretty hectic for me, so I’ve been so busy with school lately.  However, things are starting to slow down a little- in fact I will be getting a break here pretty soon-, so hopefully I’ll be able to get that going.  My goal is to have the Pinterest account up and running between the end of next week and the end of November.
And lastly, you may have noticed that I have been adding more videos to my posts.  This is a matter of improving and enhancing my posts.  Just thought you would like to know.  I may also do more with the sight by creating an actual About page on the Hanime on Anime site; if you haven’t noticed already, the about page that’s currently on the site doesn’t work.  Again, all of this is just to make the site more interesting. 
So now that I have that much said, now I’m really done.  So, until next time, and as always, stay tuned for more!  And I will create a more formal post with this and any other related news later on this week.

-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?