See You, Space Pirate!: Captain Harlock: Space Pirate

Ahoy, mateys!  This be the first post of Flashback February, and for this week,  I’ll be tellin’ ye a tale of a swashbuckling pirate and his crew, an evil race of aliens out to take over the Earth, and…well, space.  But all pirate talk aside, this week’s review is on one heck of a show, and that’s not just because it’s the oldest show to be reviewed on Hanime on Anime.  So let’s cast off me hardies and get started on the first review for Flashback February 2016, Captain Harlock: Space Pirate.
Set in 2977, Earth has become a dystopian paradise that pretty much echoes the setting of Fahrenheit 451 (the government controls everything and people are brainwashed with television).  Despising the new views of the human race, Captain Harlock leaves Earth and is later branded an outlaw after being accused of murdering several Earth politicians.  The military is constantly out to capture this “outlaw” and is even willing to use children to make that happen-in this case, I’m referring to the little girl Mayu, the daughter of an old friend of Harlock’s.  However, things get serious when a mysterious race of aliens called the Mazone invades Earth, and the people of Earth really don’t seem to care…at all.  In light of this dire situation, Captain Harlock decides to face the Mazone head on.  And this shouldn’t be too hard for him and his crew of misfits.
Captain Harlock: Space Pirate was the first anime that came out of the seventies that I’ve seen (the show was first released in 1978).  I knew what I was getting into with the oldest show reviewed thus far on Hanime on Anime.  Even so, I was not disappointed with what I saw.  That’s why I’m giving Captain Harlock a four star rating.  Obviously, my “80’s rule” applies to this show.  That is, I ignore the animation if the show was released in the eighties or earlier-although anything post-Akira is fair game.  Besides, the animation wasn’t the selling point of this show anyway.    Another part to the “80’s rule” is that the plot becomes the focal point of the show.  And boy, does Captain Harlock have it!  The whole plot of the show is fantastic!  Though its overall concept is not anything new, the story is very well put together. That being said, I almost gave this show a higher rating, but because I’m barely ten episodes in, I decided to play it safe.
Despite how awesome I thought this show was, there is one downside that I thought it had, and not for the reasons that you’d think.  Surprisingly, it was the animation.  Like I said, it’s not what you think.  The “80’s rule” still applies.  With an anime like this, the animation is very stiff and bulky.  For those who started watching anime that came out in the late 2000’s-or better yet, in the last year-, this show is less likely to spark an interest.  Even I will admit it took a couple of minutes just to get used to the style.  But the trick is to get past that.  Believe me, this show is a true anime gem!  To pass it up would be mutony!
So to finish me tale, Captain Harlock: Space Pirate be a grand treasure any daring retro anime fan should seek!  The show is available for purchase online, if you so desire to have it.  I highly recommend Right Stuf because I had a pretty good experience with them I bought the entire series on DVD from them.  As far as watching it online, you can try Hulu and Crunchyroll.com.  Anyways, it’s high time I set sail!  Be sure to stick around next week for part two of Flashback February where I review the movie Angel’s Egg.
-Hanime on Anime

P.S.: There will be no pirate puns or pirate talk next week! ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?