Character of the Month of March: Kamina

Greetings, fellow citizens of Earth on this Easter Sunday!  The month of March has come to a close, and that means it’s time to reveal this month’s Character of the Month!  March might have been sparse on reviews, but that’s no reason to push back tradition.  But seriously, March was a short month, so it’s obvious this month’s winner came from Guren Lagann.  And even though this character wasn’t my all time favorite character in the series, there was pretty great reason why he got the title.  So with that out of the way, let’s talk about this month’s Character of the Month, the man who believes in the you that believes in you, Kamina!
Much like the show’s lead protagonist, Simon, Kamina lives in the same underground village in a dystopian future.  For a long time, Kamina has dreamed of reaching the surface world to find his father.  This dream turns him into a rebel who constantly tries to break through the village’s ceiling.  However, along with Simon, a Gunmen hunter named Yoko, and a newly discovered mecha head, Kamina ventures up to the surface.  Kamina later names the mecha head Lagann, and later obtains a Gunmen body and calls it Guren.  When the two robots combine, they create Guren Lagann-which is where the title comes from.  However, Kamina’s presence as the spunky and outspoken character comes to a short end in the eighth episode of the series.
I said it once in the beginning and I’ll say it again.  When it comes to my favorite characters in Guren Lagann, Kamina was not one of them.  Though he’s ambitious and headstrong, he’s also really talkative and annoying.  So yeah, it’s pretty obvious he’s not Character of the Month because of his personality.  But, despite how annoying Kamina is in the series, he is an important character in Guren Lagann.  If you think about it, it’s Kamina who’s the main drive for getting to the surface. It’s Kamina who creates Guren Lagann.  And it’s also Kamina who’s responsible for rallying the other surface dwelling humans against the Beastmen.  Oh, and let’s not forget, Kamina is a huge influence on the main character Simon, who seems to become just as cocky by series end. Kamina is an important character in the series because he helps set the show’s events into motion.  In fact- and my fiancé can probably testify to this comment I made to him some time ago-, even Kamina’s death really opens up the plot.  We’re not introduced to the Spiral King Lordgenome, his other generals, and Nia until the episode after he dies.  So in spite of the fact that Kamina is way too cocky and doesn’t know when to keep his mouth shut sometimes, he’s still a vital character to the plot of Guren Lagann.  And that’s why I pick you, Kamina-who the hell do you think I am if I didn’t? –for Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month of March!
Now before I close this week’s post I have a quick announcement.  Many of you may remember my Autism Awareness Month event from last April.  Being one of my most successful events, I’ve decided to bring it back this year!  However, this year, my Hanime on Autism post will be a little different; rather than written posts, they will be recorded videos on YouTube!  At least, that’s the plan anyways.  My studies may interfere a little with this year’s plans, but I will see what I can work with.  I will have more information on this event Friday, April 1st.  So with that, I’m off!  Be sure to stay tuned to my Autism Awareness Month event post this Friday, as well as some long overdue reviews next Sunday!
-Hanime on Anime


P.S.: Before I forget, have a happy and blessed Easter!  Try not to eat too much candy, folks! ;)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?