Character of the Month of July: Ikoma



Greetings, one and all!  The unveiling of Character of the Month comes early this month-I’ll explain later-, but it was definitely for a note worthy character.  I saw this guy and I thought that’s it!  Ironically though, he was in one of my harshest reviews this month-if not the whole year.  Yeah, I think you know who I’m talking about now.  So enough of the details and let’s talk about this month’s Character of the Month, Ikoma from Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress!
Ikoma starts off in the series as a mechanical engineer in a gated-off town.  In his world, the human race is threatened by the Kabane, man-eating creatures that spread a zombiesque virus that mutates any surviving human bitten by one.  When Ikoma’s town is attacked, he himself is attacked and bitten by a Kabane, but is able to stop the spread of the virus and survive.  This turns him into a hybrid mix of human and Kabane called a Kabaneri.  He also kills the Kabane off by using a new weapon he had developed.  Now in his new form, he teams up with another Kabaneri name Mumei and joins the surviving remnants of the attack on the Iron Fortress. 
Like I said, I saw Ikoma and I knew he was the pick for the month. Some of it has to do with looks, but it really had to do more with his personality and the role that he played.  Yes, he’s a protagonist, but he’s different than most.  While many maintain a stubborn and headstrong personality, Ikoma is more level headed.  But he’s also driven.  And unlike the anime that Kabaneri stole most of its ideas from (cough, cough Attack on Titan), Ikoma was more likeable and more easy to root for, and not because half of the people on the Iron Fortress don’t trust him.  Don’t get me wrong, I still don’t think Kabaneri was all that original; Ikoma’s costume isn’t even original (Tetsuo Shima called.  He wants his cape back).  But when you get down to it, Ikoma showed great character development in the show-not to mention a great new look by the finale-and was hands down one of the most likeable characters in the show.  He might actually be one of my favorite characters!  So keep calm and kill Kabanes, Ikoma, cause you’re Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month of July!
Now before I go, I do have one announcement to make.  I will be out of town at MechaCon-again-next weekend, so no post next Sunday!  That’s why Character of the Month was so early.  I will be back with another new post the following Sunday, August 7.  And with that, I’m off!  Be sure to stay tuned for more new posts and if you have a request of a show you’d like for me to review or a topic I should talk about, let me know in the comments below!

-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?