Character of the Month: Aqours

Greetings, one and all!  I’m back from what’s probably been a really crazy week.  And this month’s pick for Character of the Month is just as crazy. I had a hard time picking who would nab the title, and ended up coming to this.  It’s not unheard of picking more than one character for Character of the Month.  But this time around, I added a few more…like seven or eight.  Yep, I’ll just come right out with it; this month’s is the entire group Aqours from Love Live! Sunshine!
I’ll be brief with the synopsis because I reviewed this show just last week:  Chika Takami wants nothing more than to start a school idol group at her school after watching a performance by μ’s.  While she is able to collect a modest group of girls to participate, the opportunity to further enhance the club comes around when the group learns that their school will be closing down.  Faced with a similar situation as the gang from the original Love Live! had to face, Aqours-as they are now called-must perfect their moves, music, and singing to save their school.
So for those of you reading this, you are probably wondering, why pick the whole group?  Well, looking back on how that decision was made, a lot of the better plot development between the two shows I reviewed this month was with Love Live!  Plus, my pick for Sengoku Basara was a character who while he had more significance to the show, I didn’t like him that much.  Another reason for picking all nine girls was that I felt that each one of them made such a contribution to not only the group but the show that to exclude one of them would be odd.  As I said in last week’s review-sort of-there were moments in the series that Aqours came out better than μ’s.  And while the show does follow some similarities with the original, there are some likable differences.  So yes, odd call, but I have no regrets.  So sing it loud and sing it proud, Aqours, because you’re all Hanime on Anime’s Characters of the Month of August.
Now before I go, I do have an announcement concerning the month of September.  For those of you following my blog, September is when my birthday is.  And to celebrate, I dedicate the month to anything anime-related of my choosing.  So for this year, what better way to kick off a new segment of Hanime on Anime than by doing an entire month dedicated to my favorites?  Therefore, next month will be nothing but My Favorites in Anime!  And the topic of choice will be characters!  Here’s how it works: I’ve broken down my favorite anime characters based on their role in an anime or film, like protagonist or antagonist.  Each Sunday in September, I will give a list of my favorite characters of this group, in no particular order, and explain why they’re my favorites.  Fun, right?!
But yes, that will be starting next week!  And so, that wraps up the month of August!  If you have a request for something you’d like for me to talk about anime related, let me know.  If not, stay tuned for the start of Hanime’s Month of Favorite Characters with my first post on my favorite heroes!

-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?