Prison Breakout Comedy!: Nanbaka!

Well, ladies and gentlemen, it happened again… Another missed Sunday with no alert whatsoever.  Before I start with this month’s first post, I have some news to share.  Lately, things have been very difficult for me emotionally the past several weeks.  Granted, grad school stuff aside, I got a new job some odd months ago and moved into my own place.  All great things.  Still, there’s been a lot of emotional problems in between that.  Some days I’m so distressed that I can’t even look at my computer and type.  I don’t have any definitive answers, but I believe that I have depression.  As many of you are aware, I have Asperger’s syndrome, a high functioning form of autism.  Depression is something that is often attributed to being autistic.  That’s why I believe I’m depressed.  I am seeing help very soon and I’ll hopefully have some answers.  I didn’t necessarily need to discuss this, but I believe that I owe all of you an explanation for why I’ve been missing so many posts.  Anyways, on a brighter note, back to this week’s post!
This week I looked into one of Funimation’s latest simuldubs.  I stumbled upon this comedy sometime ago and have made it nearly half-way through.  And let’s just say I couldn’t stop laughing.  So let’s skip the intro and get to this week’s review on Nanbaka.
Nanba Prison is considered to be one of the most secure prisons in the world, holding some of the world’s most notorious criminals.  However, held within the walls are four prisoners who are master escapists-Jyugo, Rock, Uno, and Niko- and have a perfect track record of escaping prisons.  And sure, episode one has them trying and failing to escape, but they find all the comforts they have within Nanba’s walls, so they stopped trying.  Well, ok, Jyugo makes a habit of escaping his cell just to piss off Hajime, the guard of Building 13.  The series for the most part follows these four and their antics in Nanba Prison.
As I said earlier, I haven’t gotten all that far into this show, although there are still episodes coming out as I type.  Most of what I saw wasn’t half bad, but could have been better.  So I give Nanbaka an even 7 out of 10.  The comedy of the show is probably the biggest selling point.  Each episode so far has some different hilarious plot point.  That is until episode five at the start of the New Year’s festival.  Still, the ridiculous antics of Jyugo, Rock, Uno, and Niko and the other characters-particularly the warden-are hysterical!  If nothing else, watch it for the laughs.
Ok, so while the comedic antics of the show are great, there was one thing that wasn’t all that great.  I really wished that there was more of a plot to Nanbaka that I haven’t already seen.  Then again, I’m not incredibly that far into it.  Plus, there are some hints into Jyugo’s past that would make for a great episode.  Like I said, much of the plot up until episode five covers the four prisoners and their shenanigans.  Oh and-this wasn’t necessarily a downside but- what’s the deal with Nanba Prison?  This place has to be one of the gaudiest places I’ve seen in anime!  From the bright colors to the crazy prints, you’d think it was some eighties palace than a prison.  And everything sparkles, too!  Everything!  Then again, that just adds to the laughs.
So while Nanbaka may not have a story down just yet, you will be entertained with laughs and sparkles.  As I mentioned earlier, Nanbaka is part of Funimation’s fall simuldub line up.  In fact, the first few episodes are available to watch in English for free!  Crunchyroll also has the series for free, but in Japanese.  Well, that wraps up this week’s post!  Next week, in tradition of the month of December, I will unveil my character of the month.  That post will be my last post of 2016.  During my time after that, I will be selecting my choice for Character of the Year.  And like always, I will reveal that character January 1st, 2017.  And yes, December’s Character of the Month will be a character from Nanbaka.  So until then, have a great week!  If you have any requests, please let me know!
-Hanime on Anime
P.S.: Did I forget to mention the sparkles?

P.P.S: SO…MANY…SPARKLES!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?