My Top 10 Favorite Non-Anime TV Shows


Greetings ladies and gents!  Thursday is here, and that means it’s time for the first of my countdowns in celebration of Autism Awareness Month.  As I said before, this is meant to be countdown where I try to be more personal by talking about some non-anime stuff that I enjoy.  After all, I don’t watch anime all the time.  And what better way to show some of that by talking about non-amime shows and movies?  Granted, I can’t really give all the credit to myself for the idea.  No, that actually goes to Robin Barry-Cotter from the YouTube channel Anime America.  Some time ago, Robin did a special countdown of her favorite non-anime TV shows.  I loved the idea and saw it as a fun way to talk about stuff other than anime while being a little more personal.  For those who know me, it may not come as a surprise I’m a bit of an introvert and a couch potato.  So yeah, I watch TV a lot…well, ok, maybe not that much.  Still, I don’t watch anime all the time and like to watch other stuff.  And thus, this list was born!  So, without further adieu, let’s look at my top ten favorite non-anime TV shows.

#10: Rugrats

Starting off my list is admittedly one of the few animated shows on this list.  This was a show I grew up watching as a kid.  And after a little site called Hulu, I got to watch it all over again.  I’ve found that I enjoy it just as much as I did growing up. I don’t watch it as much as I used to, though, even after finding it again.  But I blame that on being a working adult.  Speaking of which, one interesting thing I found watching this show was that many of the kid’s shows of the 90’s were actually kind of smart.  For one, this show proves that kids, especially little ones, are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.  Sure, the way they interpret the world around them is weird, cute, and-for lack of a better word- childish, but it shows that kids absorb a lot of information by watching and listening to the world around them.  And in Rugrats that gets translated to the babies going on some fun and imaginative adventures or getting into strange scenarios.  Plus, I think many animated shows of the 90’s addressed some serious topics but did it in a way that kids could digest it.  For example, death is actually brought up on numerous occasions throughout Rugrats.  But probably the most powerful and most memorable was the Mother’s Day Special in which we learn a little more about Chuckie’s dead mom.  It’s a sweet but heartbreaking episode that shows how to discuss such a grim topic to children. So sure, I may not be an avid watcher of this show like I was before, but these dumb babies know how to make some smart entertainment.

# 9: Spongebob Squarepants

Ok, fine.  Yes.  I’m in my mid twenties and still watch this.  Go ahead, mock me if you will.  But Spongebob is definitely a show that, to quote the Nostalgia Critic, has my childhood by the balls (pardon my French), even with the later seasons.  This was another Nickelodeon show, like Rugrats, that I enjoyed watching growing up.  I was fortunate to grow up with the golden episodes of the series as much of the first few seasons are my favorite seasons to watch and the only reasons why I still watch the show in the first place.  So obviously, like many fans, I have a strong opinion about the newest episodes.  Compared to the original episodes, the animation is awkward and uncomfortable to the point of being a sensory overload, the characters are annoying and unlikable, and it’s very obvious the creators are running out of ideas for episodes.  But that’s not to say I’m going to put anyone down for liking these episodes.  Let’s face it, many of the people watching this show are kids.  So why stop them from watching it if they like it?  Plus, that’s also not to say that I didn’t like any of the newer episodes.  In fact, I do have a few favorites from the newer seasons.  Some of these include “Big Sister Sam,” “The Battle for Bikini Bottom,” “20,000 Patty Leagues under the Sea,” “Squidward’s School for Grown Ups,” “Sanctuary,” “Spongicus,” and “Suction Cup Symphony,” just to name a few.  So I can’t say I hate the newer episodes entirely.  There definitely are some big misses, but there’s a few gems in the newer episodes if you give them a shot.  But whether it’s the newer episodes, or the golden oldies, this is still my favorite sponge who lives in a pineapple under the sea!


#8: Bar Rescue

Ok, so before I talk about this Spike TV reality show, I have to talk about another reality show: Dance Moms. These two shows were the only reality shows that I really watched and enjoyed.  But when Abby’s interactions with the kids and the moms got worse and the drama just spiraled, I gave up on Dance Moms.  After that, I became a pretty devout fan of Bar Rescue.  The show follows bar business guru Jon Taffer as he travels to failing bars across America and tries to save them from closing.  Some of these places have issues ranging from unruly staff, environment issues and health code violations, and management that couldn’t give a crap.  It’s a pretty simple premise and was a great alternative to Dance Moms mostly because 1.) the yelling is targeted at lousy bar owners rather than children and 2.) Taffer actually tries to help people.  In a way, you could almost say that Bar Rescue is almost an aggressive version of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition; these are businesses that are in pretty dire need, and Taffer is trying to help rebuild them into better places. And even though going out to bars or night clubs is not my thing, this show gives a guide of what a bad bar or club looks like.  Sadly, I haven’t gotten caught up on any of the newest episodes thanks to my switch to Internet TV, but I still enjoy it all the same and highly recommend it!  It’s an entertaining reality show that introverts like me can enjoy and thank God that we like to stay indoors on a Saturday night!


#7: Reba

I’m not sure that this show did all that well at the time it aired.  But given that it had six seasons, there were people who liked it.  I’m one of those people who liked it after catching reruns.  No, I take that back; I love this show.  The premise itself almost sounds like it’s ripped straight from a soap opera; Houston housewife Reba Hart (played by famed country music star Reba McEntire) is going through a divorce with her husband Brock, and soon learns in the opening moments of the pilot that not only is his mistress pregnant, but that also her teenage daughter, Cheyenne, is pregnant by her boyfriend, Van.  That’s only in season one and sets the stage for much of the show, but it still sounds over-the-top dramatic.  Even so, I think the series does pretty well in making light of the situation.  The show genuinely makes this situation kind of funny and entertaining.  But that’s not why I loved this show so much (ok, maybe a little).  What really struck me was just how realistic this show was at times.  Sure, it was very lighthearted a good bit of the time, but there were some times that it took things seriously.  They show the aftermath of going through a divorce, custody issues, parenthood, even dating.  Alcoholism also becomes an issue in the later seasons.  A lot of these situations were also very relatable.  In fact, some of the episodes I found very relatable to myself. 
During the episodes when Brock and his mistress-turned-wife Barbara Jean have a falling out and are separated, there were two distinct moments that really hit me.  After finding out Brock has clinical depression in a previous episode, Barbara Jean laments her fears about their relationship being the result of Brock’s depression and him taking anti-depressants to feel better is proof that he’s not happy with her.  In another episode, while she and Brock are separated, Barbara Jean starts bar hopping to pick up guys as a means to avoid couples therapy to get back at Brock for the emotional neglect she suffered through.  In venting her frustrations, she states, “He decides he’s not happy with his life.  Try not to take that personally…maybe I want him to know what it feels like to be left out blowing in the wind.”  Admittedly, these were feelings that I was feeling when things between me and my ex-fiancé were going bad as well as after my break up.  I understood the feeling of abandonment and loneliness because you’re partner suddenly becomes self-absorbed with their own problems, and the feeling of wanting you’re partner to hurt for how they treated you.  This show taught me that things like this are normal and that people go through them every day.  So, like I said, I don’t think this show was that well received.  But it does show that we all are survivors.


#6: Family Feud



Ah, my guilty pleasure game show, ladies and gentlemen!  A game of surveys, money, cars, and really stupid answers.  I don’t get this show very often at home, but I watch it every chance I get when it’s at my parent’s house.  It’s definitely very fun to play along with it as much as it is to listen to the answers of the competing families.  And that’s what I really enjoy about this show, playing along with.  I’ve said before on numerous occasions that if my family were to ever get on the show, we would instantly win the $20,000 grand prize.  Though I’m sure there have been families who have said that before.  And surprisingly, this show has been around for a very long time; my dad remembers it when he was a kid!  So it’s obvious that the premise of the show has lasted a while.  And it’s not hard to see why.  Granted, I normally prefer the shows hosted by Steve Harvey and maybe a John O’Hurley episode here and there.  That’s also not hard to see why as Steve definitely makes the very  lively.  The celebrity editions are also pretty entertaining, too, even though the questions are super easy, but that’s probably because the money goes to charity.  Though it tends to come around every blue moon for me, it’s hard not to get wrapped up in the feud!

 

#5: America’s Funniest Home Videos

Now getting into some of the longest running favorites, this show was a staple of my middle and high school years, and still is a beloved show.  Every Sunday evening, I always looked forward to this show coming on.  Whether it was a re-run or a new episode, there were laughs to be had.  Unlike Family Feud, I knew this show had a long history.  In fact, I remember seeing some of the first episodes with Bob Saget as the host (via re-runs)!  There was a season or two in between where there were two hosts, but I skipped that and went into the seasons hosted by Tom Bergeron, and later by Alfonso Ribeiro.  Regardless of who was hosting, like I said, this was a great show to watch in the evening.  For one hour, you could forget all your troubles and just laugh at your TV screen.  It was a nice way to relax in the evening after a long day of homework, church, or whatever was going on.  Plus, you get paid for sending a video (let’s see YouTube try and do that without monetizing their videos).Sadly, I think they stopped making new episodes, but I’m still hopeful that America still gets the opportunity to share and laugh at some of its classic moments in home video mayhem.  Family-friendly and funny, AFV knew how to make an evening fun!    Oh, and speaking of Bob Saget…

 

#4: Full House

“Everywhere you look, there’s a heart…” and a show that hits you right in the nostalgia!  Yeah, I grew up with this show, what about?  It’s hard not to really hate on the show even though there are some pretty big faults to it; it’s cheesy and the conflicts are too easily and unrealistically resolved.  But it’s still very heart-warm and charming.  So it’s not hard to see why I love it so much.  And to list my favorite episodes and moments are too many to count.  In fact, both my sister and I are such big fans that it shouldn’t come as any surprise that I got the entire series on DVD for her…and pretty much marathoned it!  This show, like AFV, was such an evening/night time staple for me growing up and a great way to end my day that it’s a tradition I still try to carry today.  I can’t really say the same for its spin off Fuller House, though.  Yeah, I saw it, but honestly there didn’t seem to be any charm or originality to it; it was nostalgic fodder for fans of the original.  So from here on, I’m sticking to the original that was there everywhere I looked.

 

#3: Forensic Files

Behold!  My next and last guilty pleasure junk show!  Yeah, I’ll just come out and say it: it’s cheesy, it’s dated, and it’s predictable as heck…but that’s why I kind of like it.  For all the flaws I can point out, it’s actually a great show to keep you up at night.  I’ve found it to be pretty addicting even though I know damn well what’s going to happen, but I think that’s the lure to it; it’s entertaining.  You might have seen that episode at least a dozen times over, but it’s such a surprise and joy to watch every time, and you can blame the presentation of it on that addictiveness.  Plus, this show makes for some great white noise.  I’m not saying that as a means to discredit the show or say it’s bad (it’s cheesy, not terrible).  It’s almost one of those shows that doesn’t require your attention all that much given that it pretty much gives the answers to you.  Still, the visuals keep your attention going if you need something to look at.  It’s probably why I see it on daytime TV a lot in a lot of businesses that have TVs.  So whether it’s to help me fall asleep at night, give me something to look at, or something I genuinely like and would watch all day, this show has my case of TV watching solved!

 

#2: Law and Order Special Victims Unit

“In the criminal justice system, sexually-based defenses are considered especially heinous…” and admittedly make for some pretty good entertainment (not to make light of sexually-based crimes)!  This was a show I fell in love with in high school and it’s been a favorite ever since.  In fact, I’ve been such a huge fan that I’ve joked to myself that I’ve almost become a walking encyclopedia on the show.  I feel like I’ve seen so many of the classic episodes that I know exactly what’s going to happen.  Unfortunately, I haven’t gotten caught up with the latest season or anything past Olivia officially adopting her son Noah, and have kind of been afraid to.  Part of this is due to the fact that I have favorite seasons and episodes that I like to stick to, so more often than not, I don’t go out of my comfort zone.  You can say that I’m a big fan of the good old Olivia and Stabler episodes.  Still, that’s not to say I completely disregard the episodes after Stabler leaves.  I actually have watched bits of the later seasons following his departure from the series, and I have a handful of favorites beyond that point.  I have to admit I love Olivia being in charge SVU, plus it’s adorable to see her as a mom with little Noah.  Old or new, I love this series and all of the crime and drama it brings!  It’s not one of the longest running and most talked about crime dramas for nothing!

 

# 1: Ben 10

We all have that one show, movie, book, or what have you that had such an impact on our lives that it almost made you who you are today.  For me, Ben 10 was that show.  Of all the shows on this list, none of them can top how much of an impact they’ve had on my life like Ben 10 did. Not even Law and Order: SVU can top it! This show was the reason why I love aliens!  This show was what continued my craze for superheroes!  Heck, green being my favorite color came from this show!  If you really wanted to know where my love of anime came from, chances are, this is where it all started.  Growing up, this was a show that I had never seen the likes of before.  It was imaginative, creative, and original.  The animation was crisp and clean and the characters were likeable.  Each episode had a great story and a great moral to it too.  Very early on in the show’s beginning, I was already hooked.  I was obsessed with it.  So much so I kept a list of all the episodes in order from when they aired!  In fact, I think I still have that list.  I also keep an old Nickelodeon Magazine ad promoting the show as a poster.  And that’s only a handful of fandom stories about my love for this show.  Now for all I talk about the original, what are my thoughts on the spin offs?  Well…I hate them.  Yeah.  Bluntly put.  I managed to watch Alien Force and Omniverse, but nothing could ever top the classic.  And while I’m at it, I completely ignore the newest installment at all cost.  That aside, what also put this show at the top is the fact that I still watch this show even today!  I own the entire series and still keep it with me for whenever I have those rainy days I want to look back on it.  Yes, in my mid-twenties and being a working adult in her mid-twenties, I still watch this show!  I loved it as a kid, and I love it now!  It’s by far my favorite non-anime TV show ever!
The old Nickelodeon ad I've kept 


And of course, before I go, here’s my honorable mentions:

  • ·         Hogan’s Heroes
  • ·         Ancient Aliens
  • ·         1,000 Ways to Die
  • ·         Whose Line Is It Anyway?


Well, that wraps up this week’s special Talkative Thursday post (I don’t think I’d even call it an Autism Awareness post)!  What’s your favorite non-anime TV?  Were any of these on my list your favorite, too?  And is Ben 10 awesome or what?  Anyway, this Sunday there will be no post, but there will be another Talkative Thursday post next Thursday!  That will be the last one of Autism Awareness month and will be the final part of my Favorite Non-Anime list, my top ten favorite non-anime movies!
-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?