Character of the Month of May: Kiki



Greetings, ladies and gentlemen!  Miyazaki May has come to a close, and that means it’s time to reveal this month’s Character of the Month!  I’ll admit that it’s something of a squeeze to post this week considering that this Memorial Day weekend has been incredibly busy.  But come on, you know I can’t miss Character of the Month!  Getting back on track here, after looking at the films I reviewed for this year’s event, I think it was pretty obvious who was going to get the title.  Let’s not stall any longer and talk about this month’s Character of the Month: Kiki from Kiki’s Delivery Service.
So yeah, who else could it be?  Given that I just reviewed Kiki’s Delivery Service last week, I’m going to spare you all a synopsis and just get to the point here.  If you read my review last week, you’ll probably note my thoughts on the film being a great YA film.  So naturally, I think it suffices to say that Kiki also makes a great YA character.  There’s this conflict that Kiki faces in the movie where she tries to find what inspires her.  Although it was one of the film’s weaker moments (in my opinion anyways), it becomes something very important and central to the film and Kiki herself.  Growing up as kids, we all had those burning questions of who we are and what we want to be.  Heck, I think adults still ask themselves that from time to time.  Kiki, in this regard, is extremely relatable because we are going through or have already gone through what she’s experiencing.  Even given the fact that the movie runs just like every other Ghibli film-character driven with something of a conflict at the very end-, it’s something very natural.  So yeah, at the end of the day, Kiki is just like any other kid with real-life problems to deal with.  The only difference is that she’s got the whole witch thing.  I don’t think I need to say more about this lovable and wonderful little witch!  So keep inspiring and motivating us, Kiki, cause you’re Hanime on Anime’s Character of Miyzaki May!
Next month I’ll be doing the regular old reviews once again with a Talkative Thursday or two thrown in.  Speaking of, I originally had one planned for this month, but unfortunately had not gotten around to it because of work and personal stuff.  I’ll let you guys know when that will be posted.  In the meantime, stick around for some fresh new reviews!
-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?