Pretty Guardian, Magical…Boy?: Magical Girl Ore



Greetings, ladies and gentlemen!  In spite of yet another busy work week, I have managed to squeeze in some time for this week’s review.  Still, I was glad to squeeze some time in cause let me tell you this week’s show was a riot!  I had it on my watch list ever since the trailer for it dropped, so I can definitively say that I’ve been very much looking forward to this review.  I’m excited right now, so I’m gonna get started on this week’s review of Magical Girl Ore.
Saki Uno is an ordinary high schooler and failing pop idol.  However, things start to change somewhat when she is given the opportunity to become a magical girl.  She hesitantly takes up the offer only to save her love interest, idol mate’s brother, and successful idol Mohiro with her new found powers.  But things don’t go as expected as Saki learns that her magical girl form is in fact a muscular man in short dress...yes, ladies and gentlemen, you heard that right.  In spite of this, she is able to save Mohiro.  Later on as the series progresses, Saki’s idol mate and childhood friend Sakuyo also takes up the magical girl mantle and the two form a team to battle demons and try to keep Mohiro from getting captured by them...again...as usual.
I’ll be blunt here, I loved this show!  But as a whole, it’s got some major flaws and.  Overall, I give it a 6.5 out of ten.  First and foremost, I loved the entire concept.  The idea of a magical girl show having the actual magical girl transformation turn out to be becoming a guy is hilarious!  It’s such an original and wonderful parody of the genre as a whole.  In some aspects, it can bring up some great discussion on body image, too.  Granted, I’m probably stretching compliments here, but I think they’re well deserved.  The comedy was enjoyable for the most part and never went too far.  But let’s face it, it’s guys in drag beating the crap out of demons.  If that doesn’t put a smile on your face, then you have no sense of humor.
Now, for as much as I can praise the show’s overall concept, it’s admittedly the only thing you really notice.  Yeah, the show seems to act like the whole idea of Saki and Sakuyo being these cross-dressing magical girls was all that it had going for it.  Nothing else in the story seemed to get that much development.  And honestly, I felt like the addition of Saki being an idol was where the story fell flat most of the time and could have been done without.  If you just left the show as your generic magical girl show, it would have been a deconstructive parody.  But as is, everything seemed very lightly touched upon and never really expanded on.  Plus, there were some moments that we’re uncomfortable, particularly with Sakuyo’s transformation.  Or rather, it was her motivation for transforming that was a bit uncomfortable.  Let’s just say you won’t look at Sakuyo the same way again.  But overall, it’s just too hard not to laugh at this show, so I definitely recommend it even with its obvious flaws!
So when it comes to Magical Girl Ore, come for the laughs, stay for the magical, burly, girly men!  The show is currently available on Crunchyroll if you want to take a gander. And that concludes this week’s review.  Maybe this week I’ll be able to find some down time to review a particular anime film I’ve had on my shelf for quite some time but never got around to watching.  No spoilers here, though!  So stick around till then!

-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?