Orphen Black Magic: Orphen


Greetings ladies and gentlemen and welcome back to another wonderful Sunday with an awesome review from yours truly!  This week, I decided to look at a show that I think is a little obscure amongst anime fans, but has been a show that I’ve enjoyed so far.  I heard about this show after binge watching countless videos of English voice over actor panels at cons and was surprised to find a copy of the entire series for sale while on my trip to MechaCon.  From there…well let’s get started with the review and go from there.  So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s review on Orphen (its actual name is Sorcerous Stabber Orphen, but I’m going just going to call it Orphen for the review).
In this mid to late 90’s anime series, Orpehn is a sorcerer often known for being blunt and a bit cocky, but is nonetheless very powerful and well versed.  He lives in a small town with his apprentice Majic where everything is peaceful, until he meets Cleao Everlasting.  In possession of a magical sword, Orphen often watches the house along with two other servants in the house to make sure the sword is guarded.  Then one day, a fierce dragon called the Bloody August appears and goes after the sword.  Orphen manages to hold the dragon back, but the fight reveals a connection between him and the Bloody August.  What no one knows is that the Bloody August is in fact a close friend of Orphen’s, a sorceress named Azalie who transformed herself into a dragon while studying the Sword of Baltanders-the sword that Cleao’s family possesses.  It is also revealed later that the Tower of Fang-one of the most prestigious schools in the land- has been trying to cover up the incident, which led to Orphen himself leaving the Tower.  After this encounter with the Bloody August, Orphen, Cleao, Majic, and the two house servants set off to find a way to reverse the spell cast on the Bloody August and return Azalie to her former self.
I had heard nothing about this show before actually doing some research and actually watching the show, which makes me think it’s one of those shows from the 90’s that gets swept under the rug.  And that’s kind of a shame, cause this show is actually not bad.  Overall, I give Orphen a perfect 7 out of 10.  Even though I’m admittedly a third of the way through season one, everything for the most part has been pretty fun.  I thought the overall concept was great and seemed like something a little outside the usual fantasy realm box.  The idea of going against authority over a major scandal is something that you’d more often than not see in something in a modern American drama, and I really liked it.  And although this may sound like a downside, I really would have liked for the show to expand on its world a little more; we really don’t know that much about it besides the Tower of Fang.  This was a cool world that had tons of beautiful and fascinating locations, so it would have been nice to learn more about it.  But like I said, the locations were beautiful and fascinating, so I just had to take the good from the unexpanded.  As far as animation goes, I’m a bit of a sucker for the nostalgic non-digital animation style, which gives the series that usual 90’s charm.  It wasn’t eye candy by any means, but it was nice to look at.  Well, most of the time anyway…

This might be a strange problem to focus on, but there were a few episodes that I felt like the creators didn’t really care about the finished product.   I know that it was the nineties and the animation then wasn’t perfect, but sometimes I wonder if the animation team cared at all.  Since I’ve only gotten as far as season one (out of two seasons), I’ll be focusing on two episodes from the season not only because they’re from season one, but also because they have one thing in common; they’re part 1/part 2 episodes, part 2 in particular.  It seemed like somewhere the creators where in such a hurry to finish the story that they botched the animation somewhere along the line.  I’ve seen some sloppy animation in vintage anime, but this animation was bad, like almost painful to watch…like sensory overload painful.  The stories seemed to maintain themselves fine, but again, it seemed like the creators wanted the audience to be more invested with the story that they forgot to make it look entertaining.  And again, these were split episodes, particularly concluding episodes; you’d think they’d look good if not better than the first part.  Still, despite that, this series is still a fun fantasy adventure that definitely needs more attention.  Besides, I’ve had this obsession with David Matranga (the voice of Todoroki from My Hero Academia and Wolf Daddy from Wolf Children, both characters from anime I reviewed recently) for a while now, and this show satisfies that craving perfectly cause he plays Orphen.  Just another reason to keep watching this show!
Sure, Orphen might have been a forgotten anime show of the 90’s, but take my word for it, it’s a fun, entertaining, and of course magical adventure!  I came upon a copy of the entire series by chance, but I’m sure that there are places that sell older anime that could offer it on DVD if you want to find a copy.  Again, it’s worth it!  And so that wraps up this week’s review!  Tune in next week when I take on a re-review of a show that I’ve already talked about some time ago.  Let’s just say it’s a re-re-re-review.  Anyways, stay tuned till then!
-Hanime on Anime



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?