Character of the Month: Rin Okumura



Greetings, ladies and gentlemen! Fall is finally in the air, Halloween is almost here, and it’s time once again to reveal this month’s Character of the Month of October!  This month I admittedly was not on top of things with this blog as I had been busy with work and some personal issues, so my choices for Character of the Month have been limited.  Still, this month’s pick was definitely a good pick.  I can’t wait to talk about this character so let’s get started and talk a little bit about this month’s Character of the Month of October, Rin Okumura from Blue Exorcist.
Because I just recently reviewed Blue Exorcist, I’ll spare you all a synopsis since I assume you guys read the review or already saw the show.  There really isn’t a whole lot to Rin as a character.  He’s about average and is about as stereotypical a protagonist you can get.  But unlike many stereotypical protagonists, he’s not as overwhelming stubborn or hotheaded.  It’s just right.  Granted, he is hot tempered and headstrong, but at least he still offers some likeability and some admiring qualities, like the fact that he looks out for people who are weaker than him rather than put them down.  He’s just where he needs to be to be a likeable and sympathetic character.  And to me, that’s what makes a great lead character.  Also, I thought the English dub of the show was done very well, particularly with Bryce Papenbrook’s performance as Rin.  I feel like many people tend to associate him with either his roles as Eren Jeager in Attack on Titan  or Kirito from Sword Art Online, but I’d go to bat and say that this performance was his best. Like I said, it took the hotheaded nature of Eren Jeager and the cool attitude of Kirito and pretty much gave birth to Rin.  Another reason why I picked this character was that he reminded me of another young hotheaded, sword-wielding, demon fighter: Inuyasha.  Inuyasha is not my favorite anime character, but I felt the similarities between the two were pretty hard to ignore. It’s almost as if Rin was like an Inuyasha 2.0 for the 2010’s.  Inuyasha was also similar in regards to his temperament.  Sure, he’s a jerk at the beginning of the series, but he calms way down towards the end and well into The Final Act.  Still, whether I’m comparing him to all the other anime protagonists out there or to a similar character, Rin is still a great character that all anime leads should follow.  So flame on, Rin Okumura, cause you’re Hanime on Anime’s character of the Month of October!
I’ll hopefully wrap up this month’s Halloween with that Talkative Thursday that I’ve been promising if I can remember and am not incredibly busy.  Also, be on the look out for my second annual Novembflix event!  That’s right! I’m bringing back a month of reviews on shows and films exclusively available on the popular streaming service.  Stay tuned for that starting next Sunday!
-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?