Character of the Year 2019 Has Been Chosen and Other Announcements!

 Greetings, fabulous people of the Internet!  2019 and the 2010s have officially come to a close, and it’s time once again to announce my choice for Character of the Year.  But before I do that, I think I have some “e’s’plain’” to do.  December was admittedly a very busy time for me, so I had almost no time to make another video or do a written blog post.  The holidays took over and to add time to do anything related to the blog or YouTube Channel would have about done me over.  But the good news is that I plan to play catch up with my reviews with two video reviews this month!  Expect to see those very soon as well as a few other things (I’ll get to that).  But enough about that and let’s get to 2019’s Character of the Year.
2019’s Character of the Year is...Violet Evergarden from Violet Evergarden!

I don’t think I can say much else about everyone’s favorite doll (NO SMARTDOLL PHOTOS PLEASE!) in that she is very much what you want to see in a great protagonist.  Quoting from my Character of the Month post on her,  
“My philosophy on what makes any story or character good is that you can discuss them well after their initial release… there is a lot about her [Violet] character and what she goes through that people can take away and talk about later”
Violet is a fantastic character with so much quality and depth that viewers can not only watch and sympathize with, but also talk about later on.  And I think Violet will continue to be one of those characters we talk about for years to come.  So congrats and keep writing letters, Violet Evergaden!  You’re Hanime on Anime’s Character of 2019!

Let’s also talk about this year’s picks for Dynamic Duo, Subaru and Haru Mikazuki from My Roommate is a Cat!

Haru may have been the only one of the pair recognized as Character of the Month back in July, but Subaru does play a crucial role in My Roommate is a Cat.  He’s the one who takes Haru in and cares for her, but he’s also the one who needs a bit of caring for himself.  This is certainly where Haru comes in.  And to say anymore there would warrant reading my Character of the Month post on Haru for more.  So keeping being cute and keeping learning to come out of you shell, Haru and Subaru, cause you’re Hanime on Anime’s Dynamic Duo of 2019!
And before I forget, let’s also acknowledge my Honorable Mention, Zeke Yeager from Attack on Titan!

And finally, here are 2019’s Starred Reviews:
  • Astro Boy (February 2019)
  • The Promised Neverland (March 2019)
  • Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (June 2019)
  • Violet Evergarden (September 2019)
  • Aggrestuko (November 2019)

So now with that said and done, let’s move on to a few other announcements.  First of all, let’s talk YouTube. While I’ve thoroughly enjoyed doing the video reviews, I have found that my current work schedule and just life in general haven’t allowed me the time to do as many reviews as a like.  Now don’t worry!  I plan to continue with the video reviews, I just won’t be doing them as often.  Expect to see at least one video review a month.  Also, I’ve kind of missed doing my written blog posts.  I did almost no written reviews all last year, which isn’t a terrible thing, but it’s made me appreciate the value of a good written review.  So definitely expect some more written reviews this year, but also look forward to a continuation of the video reviews.  Heck, I may even do a combination of both!  Who knows?
Next on the list of announcements, while be cutting back on my video reviews, that doesn’t necessarily mean I won’t be sticking to just reviews.  This year I’m planning to bring new segments of Hanime on Anime to the blog and my YouTube channel.  The first among these is reaction videos.  Yes, I’m well aware of how some people are annoyed and perplexed at these videos, but I’ve tried the idea before with Watchmojo countdowns to some mild success and plan to bring it back again.  I find I’m pretty entertaining when it comes to Watchmojo countdowns, so it may not hurt for you all to see how I react to a few (even though Watchmojo staff clearly don’t get why reaction videos are a thing).  I’ll actually be posting my first reaction on YouTube very soon, so keep an eye out for that.  Also, within the next few months, I plan to bring a new segment to both the blog and YouTube channel (though I’m more leaning towards YouTube being the primary platform for this) called Hanime on Analysis.  Just as the name (somewhat) sounds, I’ll be doing character analysis on anime characters.  These will primarily consist of characters from starred anime or characters of special interest.  With both of these new segments, you may not seem them as frequently as my reviews, but the hope is to bring a little more variety here.
And finally, in a long overdue task, I’m currently in the process of setting up a Facebook and Instagram account for Hanime on Anime.  This was something that I’ve put off doing for a long time now, but I feel like it’s finally time to do so.  I’ll be post updates, links to posts and videos, and maybe a few little things in between on both of these, so please go like and follow both!

In closing, 2019 was a great year and great end to the decade (heck, I don’t think it’s hit me that we’re entering a new decade).  I took a big step with my blog that I’ve wanted to make for a long time.  And now I’m not only hoping to continue with it, but also bring a lot more content to you all.  Thanks for all the love and support and have a great new year!  Be sure to keep an eye out on my YouTube channel for my next video review on season two of One Punch Man!
-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?