Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month of May: Eren Jaeger

Hello all!  You may have noticed that I’ve done something al little different this week.  Unfortunately I’ve failed to inform you all about this new thing I have going, so I’ll do so now.  At the beginning of each month, I will be doing what I like to call “Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month.”  And seeing that it’s June 1, 2014, now would be a good time to start this.  To explain how this works, I will pick a character from one of the animes that I reviewed  for the month-which is May if I’m not mistaken- and explain why I like this character and why I chose it.  Simple.  This is something that I will be doing routinely.  Obviously, this will be my post for this week.  But for those of you who like my reviews, I will be post another review for the following week.  So, with that much said, let’s talk about my first Anime Character of the Month, Eren Jaeger-from my May 18 review on Attack on Titan.
Eren Jaeger is the lead protagonist for Attack on Titan.  As the show starts out, Eren is a ten year-old boy who hates his life within a walled city that protects him and the rest of humanity from the titans.  Well Eren gets a little more than what he bargained for when a titan destroys the wall protecting the city.  And after watching his mom get eaten by a titan, he vows to kill all titans.  From there, he joins the Survey Corps along with his friends Mikasa and Armin and starts battling the titans.
Eren overall is an interesting character.  There are times when we hate him, and then there are some times when he’s just plain awesome.  As for me, I’m on the fence line when it comes to Eren.  Eren can be annoying and frustrating at times.  The fact that he’s a little enthusiastic about killing titans gets on my nerves a little bit, and it gets boring at some times.  But it bugs the crap out of me when Eren refuses to admit that his reason for wanting to kill titans came from his mother’s death.  Eren, stop being a wuss and just admit your mom got eaten by a titan!  No one is going to make fun of you for it!  Lying about it makes it look like you’re overcompensating.  However, Eren is likeable in the fact that this anger infused killing mood makes him pretty amazing.  I remember watching the prologue to the latest English dubbed episode of Attack on Titan last night and sitting there taken back by listening to Eren practically growl at the colossal titan.  It breathes a motivation that almost anyone would kill for.  Still, whether I like Eren or not, his involvement as the main character on Attack on Titan and the fact that he certainly kicks butt is reason enough for him to be Hanime on Anime’s first ever Character of the Month.  So pat yourself on the back and keep killing titans, Eren! 
That’s all I’ve got for this week.  Tune in next week because I’ll have a new review!  And hopefully I will keep you all better informed on other non-review posts I put up.

-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?