Character of the Month for Miyazaki May: Totoro

Hello, planet Earth!  Sadly the Miyazaki May event has come to a close.  And as always, I’ll end this event by announcing the Character of the Month for the first Miyazaki May.  I’ll admit, I had a hard time picking this one out.  I had three great movies and a handful of great characters to choose from.  But in the end, I went with probably one of the most famous.  So famous in fact, that he is literally the face of Studio Ghibli.  That’s right!  This month’s Character of the Month went to none other than Totoro from My Neighbor Totoro
Totoro is the spirit of the forest in a rural town in the Japanese countryside.  He later befriends the Kusakabe sisters, Satsuki and Mei, and becomes a frequent visitor to the Kusakabe household.  Totoro has a number of other forest friends including two smaller, similar looking creatures and the spirit Catbus-who looks like, well, a giant feline vehicle.  Totoro later becomes a great help when Mei goes missing and Satsuki summons him for help.  Even since its release, My Neighbor Totoro shows that Totoro is one great neighbor to have.
Honestly, there’s not a lot to say about Totoro-even though I gave a background on the character.  Because My Neighbor Totoro had such a light plot, there is no real development for the character.  However, despite what lack of a plot that My Neighbor Totoro had, the film became immensely popular.  In the process, Totoro also became popular.  So popular, in fact, Totoro now graces the logo of Studio Ghibli itself.  Shoot, if that’s not enough for some recognition, I don’t know what is!  Hopefully he’ll continue to be the face of Studio Ghibli for years to come.  So keep going strong Totoro, cause you’re the first Miyazaki May’s Character of the Month!  And with that, I’m ending with probably the shortest post I’ve ever done.   As always, stay tuned for more!

-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?