My Favorites in Anime: Characters-Villains

Greetings, one and all!  Welcome to week 2 of my Month of Favorite Characters!  This week’s list of characters is actually a very short one.  It has only two characters-you heard me.  But let me just say these two are some of my all time favorites and could not think of any better characters (at least for this week)!  Anyways, this week covers the dark side of anime- and no, not tentacle-related hentai!  I’m talking about characters who are just plain bad.  That’s right!  I’m talking about villains!  And come to think of it, these two characters in particular are not only some of the smartest villains in anime (according to WatchMojo.com), but I’ve actually featured them in a previous post back in 2014.  So enough build up and let’s talk about my two favorite villains! (WARNING, again: This post contains spoilers!)


The Major (Hellsing Ultimate)




First up is everyone’s favorite Nazi in anime, the Major!  What can’t I say about this guy?  Well it’s probably not that big a surprise that I like an intelligent villainand the Major fits that bill to a tee.  Another thing that I love about him is that he is very eloquently spoken; nearly all of his speeches are memorable in Hellsing Ultimate, if not in all of anime!  Among the most famous is on his love of war and his desire to see it carried out on a grand scale.  He even gives a speech about his own humanity (my personal favorite).  Sure, he’s all wind.  He can’t aim a gun to save his own life.  But his words have a huge impact on the show.  And his entire plan for attacking London was genius!  Raiding an entire city just to take out one vampire under the guise of starting World War III is elaborate, but the biggest shocker Hellsing fans probably didn’t see coming.  In fact, I’ve said in a 2014 post comparing his plan to one of my other favorite villain’s schemes that the Major’s plan was superior when examining the overall damage.  So the Major’s words speak louder than his actions, but his evil schemes for utter chaos are pretty diabolical.  Definitely my idea of the perfect villain.  Well…



Naraku (Inuyasha)


While the Major has a lot to boast about in regards to speeches and evil plans, Naraku pretty much takes the cake when it comes to intelligent villains that ooze pure evil.  What’s so awful about Naraku is that many of his plans hurt at the gut-wrenchingly emotional level.  Not only that, he rarely gets involved in any of plans and has others do his dirty work.  Yeah, that’s pretty low.  But Inuyasha fans quickly learn in The Final Act that Naraku is pretty much the ultimate pawn (you can figure that one out on your own).  Sure, the Major’s “World War” won the fight for evil schemes in terms of damage and kill count, but when you think about it, not having a known kill count can be just as scary in Naraku’s case.  And that’s taking into account the emotional trauma that his plans cause alone.  Also, Naraku actually has a special place in my heart; Inuyasha was one of the anime shows-if not the one- that really got me into anime.  That being said, Naraku was one of the first anime villains that I got to see.  Good thing I got exposed to a pretty fantastic villain!  So let it be said that Naraku is one of my favorite villains that I just love to hate…but really do love.


So yes, it’s one short list, but good Lord do I love these guys (otherwise they wouldn’t be here)!  And that wraps up this week’s post on my favorite villains!  Tune in next week for the final and longest list of the event!  Till then, I’m off!  As always, if you have a request for a show or topic anime-related that I’d like to talk about, let me know!

-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?