Crazy Things come in Small Packages: Saga of Tanya the Evil


Greetings, ladies and gentlemen!  If you haven’t already noticed, I won’t be doing my video reaction this week.  I’m still having some Internet problems at home so I had to call it off for today.  But fear not!  Both reactions are still on the March lineup, and I promise that the first will be up next week.  Besides that, this review was actually on the March lineup as well.  I’m just doing it a little early.  I feel that I’m at a good point to where I could do a good review on it anyways.  Speaking of, I think the title of this week’s review explains itself.  If you haven’t heard of this show already, get ready.  Why?  Cause you’re about to meet one of the most psychotic kids I’ve seen as an otaku.  Excited? Well then stick around and take a look at this week’s review on Saga of Tanya the Evil!
Ok, for the record, I want to apologize for the synopsis I’m about to give.  It actually gives away-what I feel like is-a major spoiler.  Then again, it’s a huge part of the series.  So anyways, the story of Saga of Tanya the Evil actually begins in modern day Japan.  In the moments before his death, a Japanese business man who was known to be one seriously cruel bastard at his job is confronted by an entity known as Being X.  This entity tells the man that he will be punished for his sins in life, which is carried out by reincarnating him as a young orphaned girl named Tanya von Degurechaff.  Now living in a world where magic exists and is torn apart by war, the man must believe in Being X and die a natural death or else he be sent to hell.  And what better way to carry that out than join the war effort and climb as high up in the ranks as possible?  Yeah, seriously, they let a nine year old join the army.  The series from that point forward documents Tanya’s adventures as a ruthless mage during the war.
There was a lot about this series that was insane and terrifying-mostly because of Tanya.  Even so, I’m liking where this series is headed in terms of plot.  So while I feel it’s a pretty generous ranking, I give Saga of Tanya the Evil an eight out of ten.  Like I said, I like where the plot is headed (the series is still on-going and I haven’t seen all of the available episodes yet.).  Things are starting to get really good and I’m excited about where it will lead next.  Granted, I’m scared to see how far the cute, intelligent, and dare I say Satanic protagonist will go in her quest to get the good life, even in all that she has to go through.  As far as characters goes, Tanya really is the star of the show.  That is, she the most interesting character of the show thus far.  I don’t think I can say much more to that.
Admittedly,  I didn’t really have anything bad to say about the show.  But I will say that if you’re someone who likes some logic in just about anything, this show is not for you.  Again, the military of this fantastical world let a nine year old join the army!  Either the Empire is really screwed up or they’re desperate.  So even though Tanya has the mind of a grown man (literally), you can’t help but cock your head and go “huh?”  Still, you get pretty wrapped up in this show very quickly.  Crazy as it may look, it’s worth the watch!
So what have we learned from this review?  1.) Little girls can be just as cruel and sick as grown men, 2.) the military can be absolutely screwed in the head, even if they’re from a fantasy world, and 3.) it all makes for great anime entertainment!  If you’re daring enough to give Saga of Tanya the Evil a try, the series is free to watch on Crunchyroll in Japanese.  Funimation has included it in their winter simuldub lineup and even have the first two episodes available to watch in English for free.  Unfortunately, to catch the rest, you’ll have to subscribe to Funimation.  And so, that ends this week’s unexpected review.  Next week, I promise that the first of my video reactions will be up next Sunday.  As always, if you have a request for a show or topic you’d like for me to talk about, shoot me a comment!  Until then, stay tuned for more, and look out for that video reaction!

-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?