Character of the Month: Akito Hyuga



Hello, fabulous people of the Internet!  Though it may not be the end of July just yet, it’s time to reveal this month’s Character of the Month.  As I mentioned last week, I’ll be off on my yearly visit to MechaCon next Sunday, so there won’t be a post then.  Then again, this is something of an annual thing, so I don’t think it should be much of a surprise.  Anyways, let’s talk about this month’s Character of the Month: Akito Hyuga from Code Geass: Akito the Exiled.
I’ll skip the overall synopsis of the series since I reviewed this OVA last week.  But delving into more detail on this month’s Character, it becomes very apparent in the first episode that Akito possesses some sort of Geass ability.  Or rather, he’s under the control of some Geass power.  It’s confusing, but here’s a simpler way of explaining it: remember Suzaku’s Geass ability that drives him to live?  It’s pretty much the same concept, except Akito is ordered to die.  This power is so strong that Akito turns into this super soldier who pretty much goes into all out death matches with his opponents.  This is also so powerful that it can even control other soldiers.  Yeah, that’s pretty cool.
Overall, I think Akito was definitely the focal point of this entire series.  Lela Malcal was good, too-in fact I almost included her and Akito for this month’s Character-, but I think much of my attention was on Akito.  There is so much about his past that is so cryptic…and still is even after the last episode.  But he always seems to act so suave in whatever situation he’s in in spite of that.  Granted, he goes nuts in battle, but still, his demeanor never seems to change.  I also liked him for that too.  What can I say?  Everyone loves the silent type, right?  And for what it’s worth, he’s also a phenomenal fighter.  Sure, the Alexanders add to that bit of awesomeness in all of Akito’s fight scenes, but he can still hold his own.  Speaking of which, and I should have mentioned this in my last post, but I called my last review “The OVA No One Really Asked For” because at the time the Japanese dub for it came out, seemed to happen at a really random time; by that point, the original story had already come to a close.  I remember watching the previews for it way back when and thought it looked stupid.  But of course, watching it now, I ate my words pretty quickly.  And part of that was Akito himself.  Akito gives Geass fans a protagonist that takes what we remember from those in the original and gives us something better.   You get the warrior controlled by Geass that we saw in Suzaku, along with a troubled soul with a haunting past tied to Geass like Lelouch.  And it was awesome!  Though this OVA could have played out a lot better than it did, Akito is one reason to give this side note of the Code Geass series a try.  So keep on and “DIE!” Akito, cause you’re Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month of July!
You guys obviously know about MechaCon, but I do want to announce that there will be a future Talkative Thursdays video- a very unique and funny one at that- in August.  More details will be revealed in the next post or so.  Until then, stay tuned till August 6!

-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?