The OVA No One Really Asked for: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled


Hello, hello, everybody!  I’ve managed to get all caught up on my schoolwork, plus it’s given me an opportunity to look into a newly released OVA that had been on my radar for a while now.  If you regular readers of mine will recall, last April I reviewed the smash hit show Code Geass.  As it turns out, the show had become so popular that it created a spin off.  Hence this week’s review.  So without any further adieu, sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s review on Code Geass: Akito the Exiled!
This five episode OVA primarily follows a European battalion called the Wyvern Corp in the midst of a fight between the Euro-Britanian forces.  Among the most notable soldiers in this group is a Japanese, or Eleven, teen named Akito.  Unbeknownst to main protagonist of the series Lela Malcal, Akito possess some sort of Geass ability.  The battalion later gains three more Elevens to fight along with them.  And that’s all with as little spoilers as possible.  There’s also a smaller storyline involving a royal Britanian strategist named Julius Kingsley, who looks and sounds nothing like Lelouch…not in the least.
Overall, this was an entertaining spin off that would please any Code Geass fan, including me.  However, I did have some issues with it.  So I give Akito the Exiled a 7.5 out of ten.  Let’s face it, you can’t beat the original Code Geass!  But for what it’s worth, I loved the whole storyline focusing on the EU.  It definitely gave an inside look on one of the bigger but lesser known enemies of the Britanian Empire.  The storyline with the Wyvern Corp was probably my favorite out of the series.  In general, it could have made for an awesome stand alone story (note that I said could).  Plus Clamps character design is gorgeous as always.
Okay, so while I said I liked the story overall, ironically it was also the story that kind of ruined everything…well, not all of it anyways.  What really seemed out of place was the whole thing with Julius Kingsley.  Granted, I would gladly cancel all my plans just to watch this show and listen to Johnny Yong Bosch’s performance as Kingsley any day, but it seemed like it was thrown into the series because the creators wanted to satisfy fans’ cravings for one particular character who is definitely not Lelouch…not at all.  Also, I thought the climax was a big mess and left a lot of questions unanswered.  So yeah, like I said, you can’t beat the original, but you can definitely get your Code Geass fix with this series!
So, was this the best Geass series out there?  Of course not!  But it makes for one hell of a Geass story to get you’re fix while you wait for season three.  The series is available now wherever anime is sold.  And before I go, I do want to announce that next week I will be doing Character of the Month early.  My yearly trip to MechaCon beckons once again, and so the last Sunday of July, there will be no post.  So like I said, Character of the Month will be next Sunday.  Stay tuned till then!

-Hanime on Anime

                                                                                                                                                

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?