My Favorites in Anime: Top 5 Best English Dub Performances

Greetings, one and all!  Welcome to part two of my month of countdowns.  As I said last week, I’ll be continuing with my top five favorite performances.  Now I know what you’re thinking, why even discuss this?  Subbed and dubbed anime have often sparked debate amongst otakus on which is better.  Of course, if anyone has read my blogs regularly, I’ve made it pretty clear that I honestly don’t care.  But there are some awesome dubs out there.  And these dubs are especially graced with some great voice actors.  In fact, it’s because of a good dubbed performances that make some select anime characters of my favorites. And that’s what this countdown is looking at: those dubbed performances.  So, without further adieu, let’s take a look my top five favorite English dub performances.

#5: Paul Dobson as Naraku (Inuyasha)

 

Starting off my list is one of my all time favorite characters from a not-so talked about show.  Having watched Inuyasha a dozen times, I can say that it’s not a fantastic show.  But one good thing that came out of the show was Naraku, the evil half demon hell-bent on collecting all of the shards of the Sacred Jewel.  And while Canadian voice actor Paul Dobson voiced other characters in the show like the cowardly Myoga and Koga’s lackey Genta, his best role was the main antagonist of the series.   Paul Dobson’s ability to portray villains and henchmen shows throughout the original series and the spin off.  You believe that Naraku truly is one force not to mess with.  I also want to note that this was a close call because it tied with Joshua Seth’s rendition of Tetsuo in the 2001 Pioneer dub of Akira.  But I ultimately picked Naraku because he was from one of the first shows I fell in love with.

#4: J. Michael Tatum as Sebastian Michaelis (Black Butler)

 

If anyone who has never watched the dub of Black Butler or any of its other spin offs, you’re missing out.  And that’s mostly in part to J. Michael Tatum’s famous performance as the demon butler himself.  Listening to Sebastian’s English voice seduces you in just a few words.  Tatum captures every essence of Sebastian as the butler serving Ciel Phantomhive and the demon who’s ready to steal your soul the next.  At times, the English performance is better than it’s original sub- not to bash Daisuke Ono for his take on it.  It’s no wonder he’s one of Tatum’s most well-known roles.  It’s one hell of a butler with one hell of a voice.

#3: Steve Blum as Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)

 

Another famous role by another famous voice actor.  In fact, Steve Blum is a superstar in the anime dubbing world.  There have been several roles in his career that are easily recognizable amongst hard core otakus and casual anime fans alike.  But of all the roles out there, the suave space cowboy himself is by far Blum’s crowning acheivement.  Not only was he able to pull off the no nonsense bounty hunter attitude, but also Spikes lazy demeanor when bounties are low.  Everything we love about Spike you have to give credit to Blum’s performance.  Capturing  all that in one series, all I can say is bang!

#2: Johnny Yong Bosch as Lelouch Lamperouge ( Code Geass)

 

I’ve already talked a little about this character last week on my favorite characters countdown.  And I’ve already made it known that Johnny Yong Bosch’s portrayal of the exiled prince turned terrorist was one of the best.  Most people probably remember Bosch as the strawberry head Ichigo in Bleach.  And while we all love to hear Bosch shout “Bankai!”, I have to say his more dramatic approach to Lelouch is his best role to date.  I love Bosch’s dramatic moments as a voice actor.  And with Lelouch, there are no breaks to that drama.  It can get a little over the top sometimes, but it’s still a treat to watch for me.  No need to use Geass to make me like this performance anymore than I do!

And before I reveal my top pick, here’s one honorable mention.


Joshua Seth as Tetsuo Shima (Akira [2001 Pioneer dub])

#1: Crispin Freeman as Alucard (Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate)


Ah yes…the beloved f**k mothering vampire himself.  Of all the anime dubs I’ve seen, I’ve never heard such a dramatic voice.  This is not only one of Crispin Freeman’s most iconic role, but it may very well be one of the most iconic dubbed roles in anime.  Freeman’s role is overall terrifying and dramatic and even beautiful to watch.  It’s also amazing to think that Freeman started being taken seriously as a voice actor in anime after this role.  And it’s rightfully deserved.  Every single moment of Hellsing, and particularly Hellsing Ultimate, is just amazing.  Definitely worthy as my top pick as favorite dubbed role.

And that concludes this week’s countdown.  What did you think?  What were some of your favorite dubbed roles-if you have any?  Let me hear it, people!  Until then, stay tuned next week for my final countdown of September, which I’ll keep a secret till then!

-Hanime on Anime

Comments

  1. Lol, isn't J. Micheal Tatum's voice amazingly sexy. Would listen to him read anything! For bosch, I think he did some of his best work in Sengoku Basara, YOUR LORDSHIP!! And as for Freeman as Alucard, I just can't see that deep voice coming out of him..lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?