It’s Not an Anime, but I’m Reviewing It Anyway: Castlevania


Greetings, peoples!  October is here and that means it’s time for a horror-themed review!  But before I get into that, this review will be a little different.  Why?  Well…put bluntly…this isn’t an anime show.  Yeah, that was a mistake on my part, but I’m still going for it anyways.  There was so much hype for this show in the past several weeks it hit Netflix, and it’s been on my watchlist for some time.  Regardless, this was worth a good review.  So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s review on my first non-anime horror review on Castlevania.
Based on the Japanese video game (maybe some more justification), this short four episode series is set in the kingdom of Wallachia during the late fifteenth century.  After his wife is falsely accused of witchcraft and burned at the stake, the infamous Dracula himself unleashed an army of demons to destroy the major cities of Wallachia and eventually the world.  This came after giving the Wallachians a year to realize their mistake.  Meanwhile, Trevor Belmont, a monster hunter and the only surviving relative of the disgraced Belmont family, makes his way to the city of Gressit only to find that Dracula’s horde has already attacked the city.
Ok, so because this is not an anime, I’m not going to give this show a rating.  I’m also going to be a very brief in my review.  For starters, the animation is very anime-like, which should be lure for any otkau- it was enough to fool me.  Plus the story is also very investing and easy to follow.  In fact, you don’t need to have any knowledge of the game to understand what’s going on.  On the other hand, the story for the first season is very short.  Like I said earlier, there are only four episodes, with each being twenty-three minutes.  So needless to say, the ending is a bit of a disappointment.  Also, there’s a lot of blood and (literal) guts, so it’s not for the faint of heart, or stomach.  The language is also pretty bad, too.  Bottom line, this show is rated TV-MA for a reason.
So sure, this wasn’t an anime, but for anyone who loved the Hellsing franchise or anything with vampires and monsters, you will love this take on the Dracula story…and probably watch it over, and over, and over again.  The show is available on Netflix and is expected to have another season with more episodes.  And so, that wraps up this week’s non-anime review!  If you liked this, I could probably keep doing something like it in the near future.  But until then, expect my usual anime stuff next week!

-Hanime on Anime

P.S.:  In my post last week, I forgot to send my condolences to the people of Puerto Rico as they are heavily affected by Hurricane Maria.  My thoughts and prayers are with you, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?