Character of the Month: Light Yagami


Greetings, ladies and gentlemen!  Welcome to my last post of 2018!  Obviously I’ve been scarce on reviews in that, well, I only did one this month.  Still, given that it was done on one of the most beloved anime series of all time, I think it was a more than satisfying final review.  That being said, this show did give us one of the most well know characters in anime, and he just so happened to be my pick for Character of the Month.  So, without further adieu, let’s talk about this month’s and 2018’s final Character of the Month, Light Yagami from Death Note!
Given that my review on Death Note is still a little fresh, I think I’ll save you all a synopsis on the series and on Light.  Then again, Death Note and Light are so well known anyway, you probably know who they are with out even watching the series.
I’d be lying if I said I liked Light.  Granted, I didn’t hate him either, I just felt like he was a bit too overconfident for his own good.  I tend to not like characters who act that way, so I never really rooted for him because of that.  But despite his personality quirks, Light is rightfully cocky for the fact that he’s incredibly intelligent, and the series does a good job to make him interesting.  Again, he’s full of himself, but he’s not so much so that he’s unlikable.  We watch him come up with these insane and almost impossible plans when using the Death Note and get wrapped up in it.  Sometimes, you want him to succeed and not get caught.  So despite my personal thoughts on cocky characters, that’s how I see Light; he’s an overall interesting character.  He is in fact the main character, and the series does a good job of portraying him in a way that gets the audience invested.  And, I have to admit, even with my hang up with overconfident characters, I love the fact that Light is in fact a mastermind.  I mentioned this in my review last week, but I absolutely love characters that are smart and methodical.  In fact, two of my favorite anime villains are Naraku and the Major, both some of the most intelligent villains in anime period, if that doesn’t tell you how much I love these kinds of characters.  Light is often considered the crème de la crème of anime masterminds, and it’s not hard to see why.  Like I said, this guy goes with plan A, but always has plans B through Z on stand by when that fails.  And if caught between a rock in a hard place, he still manages to find a way to pull through.  Again, for being an arrogant prick, I do like the fact that he’s pretty smart.  What more can I say than Light is an all around dark and intriguing character and definitely one of the most memorable anime characters for a reason!  Write on-though I wouldn’t try playing God-, Light Yagami, cause you’re Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month of December.
I’m assuming by this point, you all know the drill. This will be the last post of 2018 as over the next two weeks, I’ll be selecting Character of the Year and making some changes and updates to the blog site itself.  The last you’ll here of me writing wise until Character of the Year on January 1st.  However, I have been wanting to experiment a little with a few things, so don’t be surprised if you see some things pop up on the Hanime on Anime Blogger site here and there.  For now though, have a very Merry Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate this season) and have a Happy New Year!  Stay tuned January 1st 2018 for Character of the Year and my Starred Reviews of 2018!
-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?