Ending the Year on a Good Note: Death Note



Well, ladies and gentlemen, it finally happened.  I’ve been made fun of by friends for not seeing it, and now years later I’m reviewing it.  That’s right, in my final review of 2018, I’ll be tackling one of the most renowned anime thrillers of all time…part of it anyway.  Admittedly, this was the last thing I wanted to review for the end of the year.  Unfortunately, though, the film I originally intended to review didn’t happen because I didn’t have enough time or money to find a copy.  Still, that’s not to say I didn’t enjoy the show that I’ll be reviewing today or thought it was horrible. Far from it!  But what did I actually think about it?  Well, sit back, relax, and enjoy my final review of the year as I take a look at Death Note!
Light Yagami was an average high school student until he stumbled upon a mysterious book called the Death Note.  Light quickly learns that whoever’s name is written in the book dies shortly after.  This also summons the shinigami and original owner of the Death Note, Ryuk who becomes something of a guardian to him.  Light then makes it his mission to rid the world of crime and evil doers and become a “god of the new world.”  However, his actions in taking out criminals from afar gain the attention of the police and the mysterious and anonymous super detective known only as L.  Soon it becomes a game of cat and mouse as both Light and L try to out do each other and stay one step ahead of the other.
Admittedly, I didn’t watch as much of the series as I probably should have.  But I fortunately had the first couple of chapters of the manga and have gotten an idea of what to expect.  Still, manga or anime, my opinions on the show are set in stone here.  Overall, I give Death Note an 8 out of 10.  Though a little higher for what all I’ve seen, it’s not hard to see why I gave it such a high ranking.  It’s one damn good show!  I really love the massive match that L and Light find themselves in.  However, considering that lives of millions of people are very much at stake makes it entertaining with that mindset at the forefront.  And Light, though not my favorite character, is hands down one of the smartest characters in anime.  I love characters that are super intelligent and methodical because they’re just so fascinating.  They’re always two steps ahead of everyone else and always have a back up plan if their initial plan fails.  What’s also really neat is that the series takes place in a very realistic setting.  It makes Light seem more human and makes the situations at hand all the more real and high stakes.  And on top of all of that, Ryuk is an awesome side character.  I love his design, I love his voice, and his very presence in this show adds a supernatural element to the show that feels just right.  Brian Drummond, who voices Ryuk in the English dub, also does a fantastic job with his creepy performance of this character;  hands down one of my new favorite English dub performances!  So overall I’ve had plenty of great things to say about this show, even though I’ve been reluctant to review it.  Still, for all the praise I give it, there was one element to the show that I really couldn’t ignore.
As strange as it may seem, the one weak spot to Death Note that I could see was strangely one of its strong points: Light.  Granted, I did state earlier that Light wasn’t my favorite character in the series.  While I do love intelligent characters and Light definitely fits the bill of a super intelligent character, it’s not his intelligence that’s the problem, it’s his ego.  You can tell from episode one that Light is pretty full of himself.  If you’re arrogant enough to make yourself this mighty hand of justice and  proclaim you’ll be the god of a new world, then you’re head is probably so far up your butt that you’re drinking stomach acid.  I know, gross analogy, but it’s not hard to tell that Light is pretty arrogant.  And at times, it can get a little annoying.  Though his intelligence pulls him through and puts his cocky attitude in the right place, I won’t lie when I say that that same attitude made the show kind of boring.  In fact, it’s actually kind of satisfying and entertaining to watch him get matched by L.  But still, he’s not so annoyingly cocky that he’s uninteresting.   And again, I’ve been very optimistic about this show so far and would definitely recommend it, cocky lead and all!
So overall, I may have not wanted to end 2018 with this show, but I still say go give it a watch if you haven’t seen it already!  Definitely take note of it!   You can find it on streaming service like Hulu as well as find it on DVD wherever anime is sold.  And so concludes this week’s review. Be sure to check out Character of the Month next Sunday in what maybe my last post of the year!
-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?