Character of the Month of January: Bakugo



Greetings, ladies and gentlemen!  Just because I’m doing all my reviews on YouTube now doesn’t mean I haven’t forgotten this little tradition on my blog.  The end of the month is here and it’s time to unveil Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month!  Admittedly though, I’m not that excited about my first pick of the year.  But honestly, I feel it would be a shame if I didn’t pick this character.  So let’s not beat around the bush any further.  Let’s get this over with and talk about this month’s Character of the Month: Bakugo from My Hero Academia (yes, really)!
If you’ve seen My Hero Academia before, you know the story.  Bakugo, for much of the series, serves as a bully to Izuku and often comes off as hotheaded and quick to tick off. However, Bakugo’s explosive sweat quirk allows him to create explosions, giving him an advantage in initially getting in to UA in season one and winning the Sports Festival in season two.  In season three, however, we get to see a different side to Bakugo that fans haven’t seen yet.  Bakugo suddenly becomes insecure after being captured by the League of Villains and failing the Provisional License Exam, showing that he’s more afraid of failure than anyone realized.  This starts a positive change within that motivates him to be better as a future hero.  It’s actually no wonder he became everyone’s favorite character by the end of season three!
Well, to repeat what I said in my review on season three of My Hero Academia, I hate Bakugo.  Even after finishing season three, I still hate him.  So why?  Why pick him for Character of the Month?  Well, if you saw my video review, while I clearly stated how much I hate Bakugo, I also said that Bakugo was the one character throughout the entire season that hands down got the best character development.  Here, we see a character who, for much of the series, we see as this bully suddenly get exposed as being something to the equivalent of a scared child.  And it’s honestly something that him and the audience needs.  We need to see Bakugo in a vulnerable state.  And more importantly, Bakugo needs to be in this vulnerable position.  By feeling this way, it makes him realize that he needs to change in order to become the kind of hero he wants to be.  It was almost shocking to realize when he continued to be a stubborn mule well into season three that the thought of him becoming a villain could have very well been a possibility.  But thank God he didn’t!  And thank God that he finally woke up and realized he has to make a change.  Again, it was the best character development in the season so far!  And while I still hate Bakugo, I think that this change of heart was more than deserving of this month’s title.  So flame on and keep growing up, Bakugo, cause you’re Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month!
And so that wraps up January’s posts!  Be sure to check out my Flashback February Announcement Video below for all to expect next month!  And believe me when I say I’m super excited about this year’s line up!  Till next time, stay tuned for more!
-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?