Character of the Month: Zeke Yeager (The Beast Titan)




Greetings fabulous people of the Internet!  The end of August is drawing near, and that means it’s time to unveil this month’s Character of the Month!  And getting straight to the point here with Avengers Endgame (one of the best films of the year so far) playing in the background as I type this, it probably comes as no surprise that a character from anime’s equivalent got the title this time around.  So, without further ado, let’s talk about this month’s Character of the Month, Zeke Yeager- more commonly known as the Beast Titan- from Attack on Titan.

If you watched my review of Attack on Titan season three part two last week, then a synopsis would almost be entirely pointless for this post.  And I say that not only because of last week’s video but also because a lot of what happens in season three contains spoilers.  Still, Zeke was the major antagonist here and was crucial to this particular arc.  For the purposes of today’s post, that’s all you really need to know.
Zeke in human form

Moving right along here, I know in my video review of Attack on Titan I made it pretty well known that Bertholdt was my favorite villain from this arc.  However, while it was tempting to give him the title, he had already been chosen along with Reiner two years ago with both winning Character of the Year for 2017.  Therefore, he couldn’t be picked again.  Even so, that doesn’t mean Zeke didn’t deserve the title.  Far from it.  He’s as worthy for the title as Captain America is worthy of Thor’s hammer (sorry, Avengers Endgame is still playing).  As I previously mentioned, Zeke is the main antagonist for this arc, and he delivers with flying colors.  This was a villain that AOT fans had been building up to for two years now, and finally watching him take the stage here was just spectacular.  Much of the strategic planning on the part of the titan shifters was his doing and it nearly costs the Scouting Legion itself.   At times, he very much has the mentality of a soldier, making him heartless and terrifying even when not in his titan form.  And not only is he cold and calculating, but he’s also an intense fighter, being quite literally a heavy hitter (well, maybe not a heavy hitter, but I’m positive he’d be one heck of a baseball pitcher).  Again, his participation in the Battle of Shinganshina is so devastating that it nearly wipes out the entire Scouting legion.  That is until Levi shows up and takes him the cleaners in the quickest yet most fantastic fight in the entire series.  As I said in my video review, Zeke was a dominating force in this half of season three, and I loved every single minute of it!  You may have not been my favorite villain here, Zeke Yeager, but you’re still worthy of being Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month of August (and maybe Thor’s hammer)!

And now with August almost done, be sure to stick around for my upcoming KyoAni month for September.  If you missed my announcement on either this blog or in my video review of My Hero Academia Two Heroes, I’ll be taking a look at a few of the many wonderful works of KyoAni in honor of those affected by the KyoAni fire last month.  So, stick around till then when I cover my first, and personal, pick of KyoAni Month, Sound! Euphonium! 
-Hanime on Anime

P.S.: Apologies for posting this Monday morning!  I completely forgot to post this last night.  I promise you all I'm not currently watching Avengers Endgame while at work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?