Hanime on Anime First Double Post!/Character of the Month and New Review

…Ladies and gentlemen…I am pulling a Hanime on Anime first.  For the first time ever, and in light of my recent absence- I did not have access to a decent Internet (Sorry)-, I have decided that this week’s post will be a double post!  This week, I’ll be doing Character of the Month of June, and a brand new anime review.  Ok, so without any delay, let’s get started!

Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month of June: Maka Albarn


June was a pretty short month.  Granted, I had a one discussion post, but it was high and dry when it came for reviews.  Part of that was my fault in me not getting to a computer with Internet access while on vacation.  But anyways, regardless of how many reviews I did for June, this month’s Character of the Month was definitely a shoe-in.  Certainly an icon in the anime world, this character definitely packs a punch-and she doesn’t even punch!  That’s right ladies and gentlemen, I’m talking about the one and only Maka Albarn from Soul Eater!
Serving as the main protagonist for Soul Eater, Maka is a Soul Meister, tasked with battling evil souls who feast on human souls, and keep them from becoming keshin.  Along with her partner Soul, she is able to battle these souls with the hopes of turning Soul into a death sythe by collecting ninety-nine evil souls and the soul of a witch.  However, in the first season of the series, Maka and Soul’s goal is overturned and must start over collecting souls.  As this is going on, the two must face the threat of an evil witch named Medusa who plans to unleash all kinds of trouble into the world.  There certainly is more afterwards, but I’ll leave you to watch season one to figure out what happens.
I felt like giving the title to Maka was pretty obvious.  Being the one of the main protagonist, she definitely is one of the biggest faces of Soul Eater.  Not to mention, she’s the first character we meet in the series.  And to add to the protagonist role, Maka definitely kicks some but.  Granted, she’s not alone in the butt kicking, but she can hold her own on her own.  Let’s not also forget her loving and caring side.  It’s enough to bring Chrona down and enough to even to save Soul.  So all in all, Maka has the makings of a great protagonist character and for character of the month.  So go and hunt some souls, Maka, cause your Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month of June!


Move Over, Thelma and Louise!: Michiko & Hatchin


Moving right along, this week will also bring a new review on one of the latest English dubs to hit the small screen.  One of Toonami’s latest anime shows, this show came on with a bang June 20 and got my attention.  Though I’m not too far into the series, I thought I’d give my honest opinion on it while it’s early.  So without further adieu, let’s get started on my review on Michiko & Hatchin.
This show makes a pretty dark start, one of the roughest I’ve seen.  Young Hana-later nicknamed Hatchin after the second episode- is living an unbearable life with an abusive foster family who “care” for her only for the money-on a sidenote, there is definitely a lovely little spot in hell for this family of lowlives.  As this going on, prisoner Michiko Malandro escapes from a maximum security prison and is on the run and on a mission.  This mission leads her to the home of Hana’s foster family, at which Hana hesitantly accompanies her.  By the second episode, they are both wanted by the law, especially by a former “acquaintance” of Michiko’s named Atsuko Jackson.  With the two on the run, it’s a mystery for this reviewer as to what will happen next.
Overall, I was pretty impressed.  Granted, starting off with Hana’s home life was definitely not a great idea.  Still, based on what I saw, I give Michiko & Hatchin a four out five star rating.  Certainly a generous rating so early in, but again, I liked what I saw.  The animation was definitely well done.  The detail in character design, not just setting was pretty impressive.  I can’t say much for story, but I will say that the show is very reminiscent of Cowboy Bebop.  I also say this for the setting.  The rough, rugged, desert terrain, plus the old bounty hunter feel definitely brings back some good old cowboy memories.  A plus no doubt!  And even though it is a little too early to see where this whole show is going, I’m expecting great things!
Now, for the downsides.  Honestly, I have none.  Again, it’s too soon to tell.  Otherwise, there is some coarse language, and I hate the foster family.  Good lord, I hate them!  Still, like I always say, no show is perfect.  So as much as I expect see some good things out of Michiko & Hatchin, I certainly do expect to see some flaws.  Still, I’m as hopeful as ever for this fresh new show!
So to conclude, and I’ll say it once more, I’ve just seen only a small portion of this show.  But I’m looking forward to continuing it regardless.  Aside from being on Toonami, the show is available on DVD, courtesy of Funimation.  Funimation also streams the show on its website.  Well…(phew)…I’m finished for this week!  I do want to apologize for my absence last week.  I certainly couldn’t help the way things turned out, but I do feel I need to apologize nonetheless.  And with that, I’m off!  Stay tuned for more!

-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?