Showing Some Skin: Kill La Kill


Hello, peoples!  August has arrived, and so have some new reviews-plus, maybe one re-review (hint, hint)!  Starting off this month will be a review on one show that I’ve wanted to do for a long time.  This show made its English debut on Toonami back in February, and in fact wrapped things up this past Saturday.  It took a few episodes to get into it, but when I got into it, I went in deep.  What show could I possibly be talking about?  I’m talking about the wild, action-packed, and maybe even naked anime Kill La Kill.
Kill La Kill focuses on seventeen year-old Ryuko Matoi.  After her father is mysteriously killed, Ryuko attends Honnouji Academy to find his killer.  Her biggest suspect is Honnouji’s student council president Satsuki Kiryuin.  But in a school where nearly everyone wears Goku Uniforms-suits that enhance human performance-, confronting Satsuki is easier said than done.  However, this changes when Ryuko stumbles upon a mysterious armor called Senktsu.  Now on par with the students at Honnouji Academy, Ryuko is now able to get the answers she has been wanting to find.  It was definitely a fun show to watch!        
This was the one show that I watched from top to bottom before reviewing, which was something I haven’t done in a long time.  And after waiting for as long as I did, I give Kill La Kill three and a half out of five stars.  Was I pleased with what I saw? Absolutely!  The animation was very unique.  Coming from a Japanese studio called Trigger-also known for another anime called Guren Lagann-, the animation is very vivid and cartoony.  It’s definitely something nontraditional in anime.  Animation aside, the story was what I really liked.  I think it had just enough action, enough drama, and enough twists and turns to make it interesting.  Not bad for the second show in Trigger’s belt.
I said it once, but I’ll say it again.  Was I pleased with Kill La Kill?  Absolutely!  But…there were some problems with the show that I did see.  In fact, I think the negatives outweighed the positives.  The biggest issue was content, particularly the nudity.  Though it is a factor in the show since it revolves around clothes, I felt that some of it was just too much; too much to the point where I couldn’t take it seriously.  Not to mention, some of the outfits in this show leave little to the imagination.  This also leads to the issue of the humor.  Some of the humor also focused on this theme.  I’ll admit, some of it was funny, but at times, it was just too much.  So yeah, it’s pretty clear that this had-pardon my French-more ass and boobs than I could handle.  Still, don’t let all the extra skin get to you.  As I said, the story was the biggest highlight of the show.  In spite of all the humor and content, that’s certainly a plus.
So all in all, Kill La Kill is a pretty good show, but you have to ignore all the nudity in it to really enjoy it.  If you are interested, you may have missed your chance to catch it on TV, but it is available for purchase online.  Aside from Amazon, you can also find it on another site called Right Stuf for a much less expensive price-in fact, the official Kill La Kill site recommends it.  Anyways, that’s all that I have for this week!  As always, stay tuned for another fresh review from yours truly!




-Hanime on Anime





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?