Attack on Parody!: Attack on Titan Junior High


Hello peoples!  Welcome back for another brand new review on a brand new show to hit the 2015 lineup!  The show I’ll be reviewing today is actually pretty fresh off the fall season line up.  Though I can’t say whether or not it’s the most talked about show of the season,  it may ring a bell for some fans of one show in particular.  Why bring up fans?  Well, many of you may remember the landslide phenomenon-not so much for this reviewer- Attack on Titan.  In one of the first anime parodies I’ve seen as an otaku, this fall lineup brought a hilarious spoof on the show’s entire concept.  So without any further delay, let’s get the scoop on one of the fall season’s funniest comedy animes, Attack on Titan: Junior High.
Attack on Titan: Junior High still keeps the same characters that fans of the original Attack on Titan know and love.  But rather than living within the dystopian world of Wall Maria, Eren, Mikasa, and company all live in what looks like a modern day Japan.  Episode one kicks off the show with the main cast starting their first day of junior high.  After a series of misadventures-one of them including going to the wrong school- the gang finds themselves, for the most part, surviving the day.  However, this fine day is cut short when the Titans from the neighboring school invade and…eat everyone’s school lunches (cue the parody).  Eren vows to destroy the Titans and avenge his…okay, you get the idea.  From that point on, the series continues to chronicle the misadventures of the cast as they try to make it through middle school.
I won’t lie.  This show is hysterical!  Hands down, I give Attack on Titan: Junior High a four out of five star rating.  Obviously, the parody concept of the show is its best feature.  Fans of Attack on Titan are sure to get a good laugh out of the show just by watching some of the hilarious references made to the original show.  Eren is just as Titan-crazed as ever.  Mikasa is her usual kick-butt self and madly in love with Eren.  And creators even upped Armin’s weak nature by having him constantly wrapped up in a futon, and catching a cold if it’s removed-even in the summer.  I also liked the chibi-style animation.  Considering the show is a comedy, it’s certainly reasonable why the chibi animation would be more pleasing.  This cartoony style of animation makes the show more light-hearted, and, of course, funny.
Though I haven’t caught up with all of the series as of yet, I don’t have anything negative to comment on. Maybe it’s because I laugh too hard in each episode to notice anything, but I think in general, it’s a good show.  It may take having to watch the entire series top to bottom to pick up anything.  But I will say, despite what many AOT fans may argue, I like this show better than the original Attack on Titan.
So overall, Attack on Titan: Junior High is sure to attack your funny bone-okay, maybe not my best joke.  The series is currently streaming online, particularly on funimation.com.  And with that, that’s all that I have for this week, but before I go, I do have an announcement.  I will be out of town this coming weekend, so I will not be doing a post for that Sunday.  However, I will be back the following Sunday with Character of the Month.  So until then, stay tune, and early Happy Thanksgiving!
-Hanime on Anime


P.S.: In light of the recent terrorist attacks in Paris, I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to the victims and their families.  You are in my thoughts and prayers! J


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?