Toonami’s Latest Dub all the Raid?: Akame ga Kill


Greetings, fellow earthlings!  Welcome back for another review on one of the new shows to hit the summer 2015 block.  This show, however, is a little different.  This week’s review will be on an English dub show that has been on the Toonami block for some time now.  Having watched the show for as long as it has aired on Toonami, it definitely sparked my interest for certain reasons-more to that later-, and now I’ve got the chance to review it.  So enough of me going on about it!  Let’s get going with this week’s review on Akame ga Kill!
The plot of Akame ga Kill focuses on the young Tatsumi who goes on a journey with his two childhood friends to help his poverty-stricken village.  After reaching the Capital and becoming separated from his friends, Tatsumi runs into some bad luck and finds himself broke and jobless.  However, he quickly learns after being taken in by a noble family that the rich and privileged are more sinister than he thought.  He also discovers that his friends died learning that lesson.  But Tatsumi is quickly rescued by a band of assassins called Night Raid and taken into their care.  He then undergoes training to fight alongside Night Raid and help achieve their goal of taking down the Empire’s corrupt government and it’s evil prime minister.
This show was certainly interesting.  Then again, it probably wasn’t interesting enough.  That said, I give Akame ga Kill 3.5 out of five stars.  Granted, it’s still pretty interesting.  Animation is pretty good throughout the show, nothing more that I can say there.  The show also has a great story, too.  Content was another thing that drew me into the show.  When I first saw the show, it took me back to some of the more gory moments of Hellsing Ulitmate- yes, there is some graphic violence in this show.  Seeing that I felt a little nostalgic over the show and that I certainly don’t mind a little blood with my action violence, I couldn’t help but keep going with it.  Still, that doesn’t mean it lasted.
Believe it or not, there were a lot of elements to this show that I just didn’t like.  Much of this involved elements of the plot that develop later on in the show.  Speaking of which, don’t fall in love with the characters Sheele or Bulat because you will not like what happens to them later on.  Plus, the blood and violence may be a little too much for people.  I personally may not have any problem with it, but that doesn’t mean others won’t.  Let’s face it, when it all adds up, Akame ga Kill is a pretty dark show-in content and setting.  Still, it’s not a terrible show by any means.  It could be a little better.
So overall, is Akame ga Kill all the ‘raid’?  No, not really.  But I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested anyways.  If you’re interested in buying it, it is available on dvd.  You can also watch it on streaming sites like Hulu.  And of course, it is currently airing on Toonami at 12:30/11:30c.  Anyways, that’s all that I have for this week.  Tune in next week as my new show line up continues!

-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?