Who Says Vampires Can’t Take Over the Holidays?: Seraph of the End


Greetings, peoples!  I’m back this week for the last review of the month and of 2015!  Wrapping things up this week is a 2015 show that would seem to be more fitting for Halloween than Christmas.  But still, as the title suggests, who says vampires can’t take over the holidays-at least for a week anyways?  So that much said, let’s get on with this week’s review on the sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, vampire-rampant Seraph of the End.
After a mysterious pandemic kills every human being above the age of fourteen, vampires and other strange creatures now control the earth and humanity is at the end of its rope.  Humans are now treated like animals and harvested for blood by the vampires.  Young Yuichiro and his friend Mikaela don’t plan to put up with the situation for much longer and plot an escape.  However, the escape ends tragically.  Although Yuichiro manages to escape the vampires’ entrapment, his freedom costs him the lives of his friends.  Four years later, Yuichiro has sworn revenge on the vampires and plans to kill all of them to avenge the death of his friends-wait, why does that sound familiar?  He soon joins the Japanese Imperial Demon Army and comes closer to fulfilling his goal-am I insane, or does this sound familiar?  However, Yuichiro may learn that killing vampires won’t be as easy as it seems.  Ok, seriously, I know I’ve heard this plot somewhere before.
I have to admit, this show was certainly not what I was expecting, in both good and bad ways.  I guess that being said, there is some great potential in it.  That’s why I’m giving Seraph of the End a four out of five star rating.  The one thing that stood out to me that I absolutely loved was the animation.  I know I always have something to say about animation in each show that I review, but this time I was actually very impressed with it in Seraph of the End.  The detail and colors are very vivid.  It’s actually really pretty to watch.  Enough said there.
Now, the one unexpected thing that I found watching the series that I didn’t like was the plot.  For a show that’s supposed to take place in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by monsters, you’d expect the world to be more desolate.  Here’s an example of what I’m talking about: Yuichiro watches his closest friends die right before his eyes and escape the control of the vampires into the harsh and destroyed world.  What does he do afterwards? He goes to a completely normal looking high school.  Somehow, I didn’t think it seemed that realistic.  Still, like I said earlier, this show has a lot of potential.
So to reiterate, who says vampires can’t take over the holidays?  Christmas may be coming soon, but that doesn’t mean you can’t indulge in a little vampiric combat.  And Seraph of the End is the perfect show for that.  The show is not yet in English, but you can watch it online at Funimation and Hulu.  Anyways, that’s all for this week!  Please note this is the last review for the year.  Still, be sure to stay tuned because next week I will reveal the final Character of the Month of 2015!


-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?