Character of the Month of January: Victor Nikiforov


Greetings, everybody!  I know it’s a week early, but this week I’ll be unveiling January’s Character of the Month.  This month’s pick was an easy pick, but for some of you who saw Yuri on Ice, well, you may be surprised by who I picked…or not.  Anyways, let’s talk a little about this month’s first Character of the Month, Victor Nikiforov from Yuri on Ice!

Since I just reviewed this show last week-and in fact it was the only show that I reviewed this month- for once, I’m actually going to skip the synopsis and get right to the juicy details.  Again, for those of you who saw Yuri on Ice, you’re probably wondering “why pick Victor?”  Yuri probably would have been the stereotypical first choice.  And how!  A lot the plot focuses not only on Yuri’s journey to the Grand Prix Finals, but on the inner conflict that Yuri faces with himself.  We watch as Yuri evolves from a nervous wreck into a man full of confidence.  Sure, that’s great and all, but think about who got him to develop so.  It was Victor.  In coaching Yuri, Victor taught him to not worry about the competition itself, but rather disappointing Victor.  This was what got Yuri motivated.  And it also developed into this romantic yet subtle relationship between the two.  So really, if Victor were not part of the series, Yuri wouldn’t have been as awesome as he was.  And besides, Victor is absolutely hilarious!  A lot of times he serves as the comic relief.  And those moments are a scream.  It made Victor that much more entertaining.  Overall, the comedy and the drama that Victor brought to Yuri on Ice were perfect.  So skate for the gold, Victor Nikiforov, because you’re Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month of January (and you win an imaginary gold medal from yours truly).

I know this post was short, but I do have one quick announcement to make before I sign off.  Next week I will be making my annual announcement for the lineup of this year’s Flashback February.  As many of you know, February is the one time of the year where I completely devote a month to some classic anime shows from the late 90’s and prior.  I will not reveal any hints on the lineup because I’m still deciding what to pick, but I will say that one of the films may or may not have been inspired by a certain reboot coming out this year.  And that will be the only hint that you guys get about the lineup.  Stay tuned for next Sunday when I unveil the full line up!

-Hanime on Anime



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?