Worst/Best Captain Ever?: The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Greetings, fellow citizens of the Internet!  Valentine’s Day may be around the corner, but that won’t stop me from doing part two of Flashback February.  I couldn’t give enough love to this show-you’ll get what I mean a little later-, but I did what I could to give it one heck of a review!  So enough of the chit-chat and let’s get on with this week’s review on The Irresponsible Captain Tylor!
In this sci-fi action/comedy, twenty year-old Justy Ueki Tylor (or simply referred to as Tylor) has no idea what to do with his life.  He goes to the United Planets Space Force to find work.  But after getting involved in a hostage situation with a high ranking officer, he gets lucky-ish and obtains command of a destroyer called the Soyokaze.  What makes it lucky-ish is that the Soyokaze is considered to be the dumping ground of the United Planets Space Force in terms of crew members.  But it doesn’t take long for the rag-tag crew to get involved with the Raalgan Empire and the ensuing war between the Empire and the UPSF.  Still, given Tylor’s laid back and naïve nature-not to mention luck-, there’s no doubt the crew of the Soyokaze can manage.
Ok, so, I really wasn’t able to get much further from where I left off the last time I watched this show.  To no fault of my own, I was swamped with a major homework assignment and was having some Internet problems at my place.  So yeah, I got out numbered.  Still, going back and watching this show, I was reminded why I liked it so much.  That being said, I give The Irresponsible Captain Tylor a seven out of ten.  The biggest selling of this series was definitely the comedy aspects of the show.  Mostly Tylor’s comedic aspects are the highlight.  Watching him treat some pretty dire situations as no big deal and then these same situations working themselves out in the end is just hilarious!  Plus, I have to admit that I love the charm of the 90’s animation.  Granted, I’ve caught myself calling the mid to late 90’s to about the mid 2000’s the golden age of anime.  Still, don’t take me up on that phrase.
As far as downsides go…well…I don’t really have any.  And again, that’s mostly because I didn’t get any further in watching the series.  While it was really no major fault of my own, I still think I should receive part of the blame.  But all things considered, I thought that this was a hilarious show that’s worth watching!
So while I dropped the ball this week, I do promise that you will not be disappointed with this series!  Watching the show online has been a struggle, but Nozomi Entertainment-the company that owns the title- has the series uploaded on YouTube.  All of the show in Japanese sub is available and two episodes of the dub are available as well.  If you’re more interested in watching the dub or just prefer dubbed shows anyway, Right Stuf has some copies available for purchase. And so that concludes this week’s post!  Tune in next week when I do my first ever live reaction of WatchMojo.com’s Top Ten Sci-Fi Anime Shows in the third part of Flashback February!

-Hanime on Anime

To get a preview of what I'll be watching next week, I've got a link to the video here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?