A Taste that’s Out of this World!: Restaurant to Another World


Hello fabulous peoples!  I’m back this week with a brand new review on a surprisingly brand new show.  Seriously, it was recently released just this summer. In fact the series is barely over.  Still, I wanted to give my first impressions of the show while it was still fresh on my mind.  So I’ll skip the pleasantries and get right into this week’s review on Restaurant to Another World!
The series overall is episodic in nature, but the overall concept of the show itself is pretty simple and self-explanatory.  The show revolves around a restaurant called the Western Restaurant Nekoya that magically teleports to a fantasy world, leaving doors to the restaurant pretty much everywhere.  Each episode documents some of the regular patrons’ stories of how they encountered the restaurant, including the waitress who comes to work for the restaurant in episode one.  The episodes themselves are also named after the favorite dishes of the restaurant’s regulars.  And yeah, that’s pretty much it.
With the show being this new, there isn’t a whole lot to really review thus far.  But my first impression on it thus far is pretty decent.  And so I give Restaurant to Another World a straight seven out of ten rating.  For the most part everything looks and tells pretty well.  The overall plot is kept pretty simple in documenting each of the regulars that come into the Western Restaurant Nekoya.  Visually speaking, the animation is pretty good, especially with the monsters and mythical beings present in the fantasy world the restaurant travels to.   And can I just admit that some of the dishes made in this show I actually want to cook-starting with that omelet rice!  So overall, it doesn’t look to bad.  But it’s not great either.
So far my only downside to Restaurant from Another World doesn’t have a whole lot of detail at the moment.  Namely, what is this world that the Western Restaurant Nekoya can travel to, and how is it able to travel to this world.  I blame this mostly on the fact that the series is still on-going and these details will be revealed in a later episode.  But even so, I get the feeling that this series is going to have plenty of new characters visit and new dishes to be made, so I’m definitely staying for seconds!
So much of Restaurant to Another World is still shrouded in mystery, but so far it takes the cake as one of the must see shows of the summer!  The show is currently streaming on Crunchyroll for free in Japanese.  It’s also up on Funimation’s simuldub line up for the summer, which means Funimation Now subscribers can watch the show in English-granted I’m still uncertain about watching it in English at the moment.  And before I go, I do want to take a moment and send my regards to those who were injured or otherwise directly affected by the recent Charlotesville riot. 
My thoughts and prayers go out to those involved, both the alt-right protesters and the counter protesters.  All I can say is that this should have never happened.  We live in an age where all types of people of color, race, religion, and sexual orientation should coexist without prejudice or fear of oppression.   The actions carried out in Charlotesville are unacceptable and inexcusable.  It’s also troubling to see that our President, who should be the face and voice of the people, refuse to make this fact obvious.  And while it may be out of place to bring this up in my weekly post, I still pray that we can find peace and happiness and live together in harmony as “one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty, and justice for all.”  And with that, stay tuned next week for another new review!

-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?