Character of the Month: Sato


 Hello, fabulous peoples (I think I’ve found my catchphrase)!  I’m back this week with my final post of August.  That’s right, it’s Character of the Month-granted I think that should be expected anyways.  This month I found it really hard to pick a character for the title this month.  Don’t get me wrong, the two shows I reviewed were good, but honestly, the characters didn’t earn that much merit.  But when I really thought about it, there was one character that really stood out that I normally would not have picked in the first place.  So without further adieu, let’s talk about this character, my unconventional pick, Sato from Ajin.
I’m actually going to skip the synopsis of Sato because my reason for picking is essentially a synopsis of his character anyway.  When we first meet Sato, we’re not sure what to think of him, secretly hoping that he is a good guy.  But after protagonist Kei Nagai is captured and tortured by the Japanese government, we quickly learn that Sato is not only a gigantic douche (pardon my French), but also the main antagonist of the series.  He later organizes of group of ajins set on beating humanity to submission for the inhumane acts carried out by the government on ajins.  But how Sato does it in the first season is shocking and was definitely a moment in the series I did not see coming.  And that’s what makes Sato such an interesting character to begin with; everything he does in throughout the series is a surprise.  His actions are unpredictable and keep the audience on the edge of their seat.  And while some people might think that this is a big weakness for the show, I actually think it’s a big strength.  It’s this element of the unknown with Sato that keeps everything going.  Not bad for an innocent looking old man, huh?  So keep being unpredictable, Sato, cause you’re Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month of August!
Now before I go, I do have one quick announcement.  As many of you know, September will be starting soon.  And as is Hanime on Anime tradition, I reserve the right to do pretty much whatever I want on my blog theme wise because my birthday is in September-although I kinda do this in all of the other eleven months of the year anyways.  However, I decided I would introduce a new segment to my blog that I’ve been trying to do for months now: countdowns!  That’s right!  I’ve decided it’s finally time I start doing some countdowns of my favorite moments, characters, and all other what-not’s in anime.  So for the month of September, I’ll be devoting my Sundays to dishing out some of my tops in anime!  It’ll all start September 3rd!  So until then, stay tuned!

-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?