Character of Flashback February: Akira Fudo (Devilman Crybaby version)





Alright, ladies and gentlemen.  I’m well aware Flashback February’s Character of the Month choice knowing that all month I talked about nothing but the Devilman franchise.  It probably comes as no surprise that one of the characters from said franchise would get the title.  But while that much is true, need I remind you that there were two shows from the franchise that I had to choose from.  And it turns out the lead from the more modern of the two series was my pic.  That being said, let’s talk about Flashback February’s Character of the Month, Akira Fudo from Devilman Crybaby!
I’ve talked about the plot from Crybaby several times already, so I’m putting that baby to bed and just skipping ahead to why I picked Akira from Crybaby.  In the same way that I thought the overall Devilman story as portrayed in the manga was better represented in Devilman Crybaby, Akira was portrayed much better in this adaptation as well.  He’s depicted as great character with a very relatable and realistic moral center; while he does some questionable things throughout the series, he’s generally a good person with a pretty clear conscious.  The Akira from the original series didn’t have that much depth to me and honestly seemed to give the wrong message about the character as a whole.  He’s portrayed as a delinquent from the very beginning but only ever shows better judgement when he’s Devilman.  Akira in Crybaby was also a very fascinating character for who he is as a person.  Even though he becomes this big buff aggressive after he’s possessed by Amon, he’s still a pretty sensitive guy.  This kind of goes back to what I said on him being a good person while doing bad things, but I think it goes a little further than that.  The best way I can explain this is through the moments when Akira cries.  And I know what I said about how those scenes for the most part are hilariously out of place, but I will admit that these scenes do work sometimes.  Those scenes that do work are, believe it or not, when Akira is Devilman.  Those moments when he’s fighting demons and he bursts into tears or defending innocent people from getting killed and he bursts into tears are the moments that really spoke to me.  These were the scenes that show that even though Akira is possessed by a demon that human heart of his is still there.  It made him a pretty well-rounded character.  So overall, while it’s probably obvious that this version of Akira was this month’s pick, I think I’ve justified that this Akira is thoroughly portrayed and by far the better choice. So cry and keeping fighting demons and lousy human beings, Akira Fudo (from Devilman Crybaby), cause you’re Hanime on Anime’s Character of Flashback February 2018!
Sunday will be a usual Sunday with a regular post…or will it?  Ok, yeah, it will be a little different.  I decided to do a special discussion post, which admittedly could have been done today and even during February as it once again pertains to Devilman Crybaby.  And I know that you’re thinking that I’m doing things backwards by doing a regular Sunday post on a Thursday and then a special discussion post on a Sunday, but that’s just how this is panning out right now, so I’m rolling with it.  Plus, this is my blog, so I think I’m at liberty to do what I want (not to sound cocky, but just saying).  Anyways, stay tuned till until then!
-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?