Character of the Month of January: Saitama


Hello, fellow followers!  January is starting to circle the drain, and that means it’s time for Character of the Month!  This month’s first Character of the Month for 2016 was definitely a no-brainer.  This character blew the rest of the competition away, or should I say, punched it all away (I know, lame pun).  That’s right, this month’s title went to none other than the One Punch Man himself, Saitama!
One Punch Man’s main protagonist is one of the most powerful men on Earth.  Able to defeat foes with just a single punch, this self-made super hero draws attention near and far in some pretty outrageous battles.  However, because of this ability, Saitama finds himself in a rut; his ease at beating even the largest of opponents leaves him bored and constantly waiting for someone more challenging.  However, based on what I’ve seen so far-plus one or two little trailers for the show-, I don’t think Saitama will have to wait very long for the perfect opponent to come along.
I’ll admit, this month’s character came about in some strange circumstances.  Initially in my review on One Punch Man earlier this month, I said that the plot of the series was weak and needed something more.  Still, it didn’t stop me from giving the title to Saitama.  And who can blame me?  You’d have to be some kind of OP (over-powered) to take out an enemy in one punch!  That’s one reason why I picked him.  There have certainly been some powerful characters in anime since its earliest beginnings, but I think what really drew me to Saitama was that he was powerful from the beginning of the series.  Sure, it’s not a new concept, but to get a job done in one punch?  You can’t really top that.  And the other reason why I gave the title to Saitama is that he’s just so funny.  From the dopey expression on his face to his bored mannerisms, he’s just so funny to watch.  Yes, Saitama certainly was one interesting character this month.  So keep knocking out bad guys the only way you know how, Saitama, cause you’re Hanime on Anime’s Character of the Month of January (and the first Character of the Month for 2016)!
Though we’ll still be in January come next week, I will not be doing an official post.  Next week, I will be making a formal announcement about Flashback February.  That being said, I’ve made my decision on this year’s line-up.  This year’s shows will be Captain Harlock: Space Pirate, the film Angel’s Egg, and Sailor Moon.  I’ll have more information on what to expect in next week’s announcement.  Until then, sit tight and stay tuned!

-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?