I Choose…A Pokémon Movie?: Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages


Greetings, peoples!  I’m back once again for another review.  And I’m pretty sure this week’s film on the chopping block has caught your attention.  I have to admit, it’s against my nature to review anything related to Pokémon,.  But after I saw it’s television premier back in December, I made an exception for this one because I thought, “Why not?”-Plus, a lot of great things came out of Pokémon besides Pikachu.  Anyways, it’s not a secret anymore, so let’s get going with this week’s review on Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages
In the eighteenth installment of the Pokémon film series, Ash and his XY companions-Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie-reach Dahara City.  While on a break at a Pokémon Center, Ash and Pikachu encounter a strange new Pokémon named Hoopa, who is capable of transporting people and Pokémon (both legendary and not) through hoops attached to its body.  Not long after Hoopa plays around with Ash and Pikachu, one of Hoopa’s guardians Mirai arrives and helps Ash transport his friends through Hoopa’s hoops and to their current location.  The gang later meets Mirai’s brother Baraz with an item called a Prison Bottle in his possession.  However, being possessed by the bottle, he opens it and unleashes Hoopa’s true form.  After a difficult struggle, Hoopa is contained.  Afterwards, Baraz tells Hoopa’s story.  A hundred years prior to the current events in the film, Hoopa mysteriously appeared in Dahara City-only a small village at the time-and caused some mischief.  However, after entertaining the villagers and being able to transport gold through its hoops, Dahara City grew and Hoopa became the town’s pride and joy.  But when Hoopa started challenging legendary Pokémon, Hoopa once again started causing some major problems.  Eventually, Baraz and Mirai’s great grandfather bound Hoopa’s “Unbound” form inside the Prison Bottle.  Hoopa has since been a part of the siblings’ family since the incident.
Then Team Rocket suddenly appears to steal the Prison Bottle, but end up unleashing Unbound Hoopa when Meowth is possessed by the bottle.  Hoopa, terrified of this dark force, is able to keep it at bay, but Unbound Hoopa soon develops into a physical entity, and begins to summon legendary Pokémon.  During the fight, the Prison Bottle is destroyed.  Mirai and Baraz know they can make a new bottle at the Darah Tower, and the gang is more than willing to use their Pokémon to help.  Meanwhile, Ash, Pikachu, and Hoopa dodge the dark Unbound Hoopa’s relentless attacks with help of some legendary Pokémon summoned by Hoopa.  Soon a new bottle is created, but Baraz drops it.  Ash manages to catch it, but becomes possessed by the new bottle.  Hoopa helps Ash overcome the possession and soon disperses the evil Hoopa.  Although the dark Hoopa is defeated, things are not over yet; a time warp appears due to the number of legendary Pokémon present in the city.  Now able to revert to its original form, Hoopa transforms and allows everyone to escape.  With only Hoopa left, it uses everything it has to pass through its own ring-something it was not able to do before.  At the end of the film.  Hoopa decides to stay in Dahara City to help rebuild it.

Like I said in the beginning, it’s against my otaku nature to review anything related to Pokémon.  This film kinda proves why I don’t.  But to be fair, I gave Pokémon the Movie: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages a three and a half out of a five star rating.  In all honesty, when it comes to Pokémon, I don’t have anything nice to say if it’s anything from the Black and White series and onward.  Still, on a positive note, if you like Pokémon, then you will not be disappointed in this movie.  The definite selling point is the appearance of most of the legendary Pokémon.  That many legendary Pokémon in one film is definitely enough to make any fan go bonkers.  Not to mention, the film is definitely action packed.
On the other hand, what really disappointed me about the film was the plot.  For a Pokémon movie, I thought it was very weak.  Granted, I know it’s supposed to cater more to children, but still, there could have been more.  And again, I tend to be very judgmental about anything from the Black and White series and onward-this does not include the videogames.  Still, it’s probably no surprise that this latest film will be a huge hit with fans everywhere.
So, Pokémon’s latest film was not the big “Clash of Legends” I thought it would be, but still, it’s Pokémon.  It’s gonna be a big hit either way.  As I said earlier, this film made its debut on the small screen on December 19, 2015 on Cartoon Network.  The film is said to be released on DVD sometime in March.  So with that, I’m off!  But before I go, I do have one announcement to make:
Many of you may remember Flashback February from last year.  Well this year it’s coming back with a brand new line up of classic shows and movies.  I have the lineup set, but will not reveal it until next week after I reveal the Character of the Month.  And now with that, I’m really off.  So stay tuned until then!

-Hanime on Anime


Comments

  1. Woah! This reminds me of my childhood. I used to watch these shows with my brother and sister. I am glad that I came across this again because I was planning to add something nice to my watch list for my kids. They just finished watching shows by Andy Yeatman online.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?