Character of the Month of April: Lelouch vi Britannia (Lelouch Lamperouge)

Greetings!  My Autism Awareness Month event may not be over yet, but this month’s reviews have come to an end.  And that means it’s time to reveal this month’s Character of the Month!  To be honest, this month’s pick was a tough call.  I had a choice between three good characters, two of which would have taken the couples title if they won (guess we know who those people are).  And while I had to give up two good characters, I got one of the best.  So enough stalling and let’s talk about this month’s Character of the Month: Lelouch vi Britannia-aka Lelouch Lamperouge-from Code Geass.
In the world of Code Geass, the earth lives in an alternate time when the Holy Britannian Empire is one of the greatest global powers.  Lelouch was once a prince of this empire.  But after the death of his mother, he is stripped of his title and he and his blind and crippled sister Nunally are sent to Japan.  So long story short, if you’ve seen Code Geass, you know what happens after that.  So fast forward seven years, Japan has now become a dominion of the Britannian Empire known as Area 11.  Lelouch-now known as Lelouch Lamperouge- is now a high school student.  However, his life changes forever when he becomes entangled in a terrorist attack and meets a mysterious woman named C.C.  In order to save his life, she gives Lelouch the power of Geass, a strange power that can force a person to do whatever the person with the power commands them.  Lelouch decides to use this power to destroy the Britannian Empire and create a more peaceful world for his sister.  He later forms an alliance with a group of Japanese resistance fighters as the masked alter ego Zero and creates the terrorist group the Black Knights.  Lelouch’s plan spans into two seasons and a dramatic ending that no one could see coming.  Again, if you’ve seen the entirety of the series, you know what I’m talking about.
Lelouch as Zero
Like I said, this month’s pick was a tough call to make, but Lelouch is definitely the crème de la crème of anime characters, and I’m not saying that just because he’s one of my favorite characters.  Aside from that-sorry, not sorry-, there were two big reasons why I picked Lelouch for the title.  One reason is because he’s one of the most recognizable anti-heroes in anime.  He may not be the first anti-hero that comes to mind-that would probably be Alucard from the Hellsing franchise-, but he is one of the most famous.  He’s also one of the smartest anime characters I’ve seen.  For a 17-18 year old teen, you got to admit he’s pretty intelligent and one hell of a strategist.  Reason number two, he’s also one of the most notable roles of voice actor Johnny Yong Bosch.  Believe it or not, Lelouch was one of the first JYB roles I’ve ever heard.  I guess that’s why I’m a big fan of his now.  Yeah, it may seem that I’m a bit of a fan of this character for a lot of reasons.  Still, you look at this character’s credentials, and you’ve got a winner.  So don’t stay calm and Geass on, Lelouch, cause you’re Hanime on Anime’s Autism Awareness Month’s Character of the Month!
Now before I go, I do have one quick announcement to make.  May is fast approaching, which means Hanime on Anime’s two year anniversary is coming up as well as Miyazaki May-my month-long Studio Ghibli themed event.  The line-up for this year’s Miyazaki May will include: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Ponyo, and the Studio’s latest film When Marnie was There.  Also, concerning my final part of Hanime on Autism, a video may not be done.  My first semester of grad school is coming to a close and I have final projects and assignments that I have to get done.  I’ll be sure to inform you before the time comes to get that posted whether or not there will be a video.  Anyways, that’s all that I’ve got!  Be sure to stay tuned for the last part of Hanime on Autism this Friday and for the start of Miyazaki May!

-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?