Hanime’s Bizarre Review: Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure (Phantom Blood Arc)


Hello, fellow readers!  My ever popular Autism Awareness Month event may have started yesterday, but that won’t stop me from dishing out reviews-although I think I made that clear already.  Anywho, this week’s review is on a show that I have been dying to see for a while.  And now that I bought the English dub on DVD, I now get to review at least one part of it (more on that in a minute)!  So without further delay, let’s talk a little about this week’s review on Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure.
Now to clarify, I was only able to get as far as the end of the Phantom Blood arc.  And given that this is supposed to be an anthology series, it would seem unfair to look over the series as a whole.  So this review will only cover Phantom Blood.  This brief arc introduces us to the Joestar family, a well-to-do family in Victorian England, and the young protagonist Jonathan Joestar, more commonly refered to as Jojo.  Jojo’s life gets turned upside down when a boy named Dio Brando comes to live with him and the Joestar family following his father’s death.  This arrangement goes back to when Jojo was very young; having believed that Dio’s father Dario Brando saved his life, Mr. Joestar felt indebted to him.  So obviously there were no qualms in taking Dio in, who becomes hell on earth for Jojo.  Seven years after Dio’s arrival, Jojo learns that Dio is trying to kill Mr. Joestar and tries to find evidence to turn him in.  And in that time, Dio finds a mysterious mask that Jojo has been studying.  Dio originally planned to use the mask to kill Jojo, but after discovering that it can turn the one who wears it into a vampire, he uses it on himself and tries to kill Jojo, which almost happens.  While recovering from his injuries, Jojo stumbles upon the power of hamon, an engery naturally produced by the body that can be used for a number of things (particularly combat).  And to make this as non-spoiler and conclusive as possible, Jojo decides to use hamon and his friend Robert E.O. Speedwagon and his mentor Baron Zepolli to defeat Dio and his army of undead followers.
Like I said, this review strictly covers Phantom Blood.  But I have to admit, I think I got a nice view of what the rest of the series will look like past it.  On the other hand, there were a lot of things about it that could have been better.  And so, I give Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood a perfect seven out of ten.  I think what I really liked about this show was just the story.  It was really well put together.  Plus, there are many shows out there that like to start at a certain point and then explain the origins of the show’s characters and terminology through flashbacks.  It’s quick and easy entertainment, but it’s not a very logical way of telling a story.  What’s nice about Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure-as far as I can tell anyways- is that it starts from the beginning.  It explains every detail and defines all the major elements of the show so that as the series progresses, you understand what’s going on.  Now this may be an autistic quirk on my end, but it’s a nice touch.  Also, I have to give the show kudos for being true to its manga adaption.  Believe it or not, the show is pretty renowned for that, and I haven’t even read the manga!
Speaking of which, that brings me to some downsides.  Now I know what you’re thinking, “How could be faithful to the manga be bad?”  Not all really.  But there’s a fine line between being faithful to the original manga and being entertaining, and being faithful to the manga and just being cheesy.  Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure tends to fall on the cheesy end.  Sorry for all you Jojo fans reading this, but if you’ve created an anime series that Watchmojo.com calls “a visual novel,” there’s something wrong.  It’s random enough when you’ve got kanji popping up to describe an action or movement, but then you’ve got moments where a narrator jumps in and narrates it, too.  I remember watching an episode and said out loud, “Would you shut the hell up?!  I’m trying to watch this fight scene!”  Then there was the ever popular, “Thank you Captain Obvious.”  And oh yeah, there doesn’t seem to be one quiet moment during a fight scene, but I think that’s mostly because Speedwagon gives more unnecessary narration  because he’s pretty useless, useless, useless throughout much of his time in the arc (see what I did there? HA!).  So yeah, it may have not been as spectacular as I expected, but it was still one bizarre adventure-in a good way.
So overall, Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure is one bizarre show, and it still makes for one awesome anime adventure.  To catch this show, Toonami has been airing all of the show, although they’ve gotten past the Phantom Blood arc.  As far as buying it goes, I was able to find a copy on Amazon.  I can’t really say if the show is available wherever anime is sold, but I haven’t done any research into that.  And so that wraps up this week’s review!  Be sure to tune in next weekend for my next review and for my first “Autism Story” this Saturday!

-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?