Attack on Parody II: The Re-Review!: Attack on Titan Junior High


Greetings, fabulous peoples!  I’m back this week with my promised re-review!  In keeping with the Attack on Titan theme I’ve got going here, I decided to take another look at the comical rendition of the famed anime series, Attack on Titan Junior High.  And to be honest, I think I’ll get right to the point.
This hilarious show takes your favorite AOT characters and puts them in the stereotypical of all anime settings: middle school.  The series shows how these characters survive middle school troubles and maybe a fight a few titans here and there.  And that’s pretty much all you need to know.
The last time I reviewed this show I used my old ranking system.  Having gone back and watched it, I still think it’s funny, but there are one or two things that I thought were glaring issues.  So I give Attack on Junior High a 7.5 out of ten.  If you’re an Attack on Titan fan, then this show makes a perfect complement to the original’s dark tone.  The lighthearted tone makes a perfect contrast and of course pokes fun at all things AOT.  I also love how the series is episodic in nature, presenting a new story in each episode- except for episodes 11 and 12- and making the show fun to watch as a whole.
The only bad news about the show is, well, if you’re an Attack on Titan fan, you’ll love the show because you would be the only one to understand half of what’s being made fun of.  Basically, you have to watch season one, and a good bit of season two,(or just read the manga) to really understand some of the jokes going on.   A perfect example of this happens in one of my favorite episodes;  (WARNING: SPOILERS!) In episode nine, called “Sweet Summer!,” Bertholdt Hoover tries to ask Annie out while accompanying her to the local summer festival.  At first, I thought that Bertholdt’s crush was the creator’s way of showing their thoughts on who should be together.  However, while watching season two of the original Attack on Titan, it’s noted that Bertholdt actually had a crush on Annie and had been hinted at as far back as season one.  Another interesting moment in this episode is the opening scene after the title sequence when his classmates catch Bertholdt sleeping in funny looking yoga position.  I had no answer for that moment until episode eleven of season two came along.  In that episode, Jean shares how many of the trainees would make sport of Bertholdt’s odd sleeping positions, going as far as using them to jokingly predict the weather.  So yeah, a lot of the jokes in this series come from its predecessor, so if you’re not familiar with Attack on Titan at all, none of the jokes will make sense.
So overall, Attack on Titan Junior High the second time around was just like this re-review: short and sweet…and funny, too!  And again, it makes a great complement for the original Attack on Titan as well.  This show is available wherever anime is sold, but online viewing is exclusive to Funiamtion- as far as I know of anyway.  And so, that wraps up this week’s short review. Next week I’ll be taking a break from AOT and doing a re-review I have been wanting to do for a long time now!

-Hanime on Anime


P.S.: You may have noticed that I used the original pictures from my first review.  I couldn't resist!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?