Titans are My Trigger!: Attack on Titan

Howdy, howdy folks!  Sunday is here and that means it’s time for a review from yours truly.  Well, let’s face it, you knew this one was coming- seeing as I had mentioned it many times before.  It was one of the first animes I’ve reviewed, it came back for a rereview, and now it’s back again for yet another rereview…but also for a brand new review for its second season!  So sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s review on the one and only Attack on Titan!
So first, let’s recap season one: Eren Yeager has spent his entire life behind a wall, which protects the remnants of humanity from the man-eating monsters the titans.  However, when a new breed of titan appears and breaks down the wall that has protected mankind for nearly one hundred years and witnesses his own mother being devoured by a titan, Eren vows to kill all the titans.  He then joins the military along with his childhood friend Armin and adopted sister Mikasa.  The trio makes it through basic training only to face the same titan that took down the wall five years earlier and another breached wall.  But everyone is taken by surprise when Eren and his comrades discover that he himself is a titan.  This puts Eren in a tough position, but eventually gets permission to join the Survey Corp under strict supervision.  However, Eren and his fellow comrades learn that he is not the only titan among them; towards the end of season one, the Survey Corp discovers a “female” titan, who is revealed to be one of their own.  Season two follows shortly after when the Survey Corp discovers titans within Wall Rose, believing there is another breach.  And giving as little spoilers as possible -granted, if you watched my Talkative Thursdays post, you know some of the big ones-, new titans appear, secrets are revealed, and everything you thought you knew from season one will change!
So yeah, the last time I reviewed this show, I was pretty harsh.  I did have some high expectations for it due to its popularity, but, if you watched my Talkative Thursdays post, I lost my patience for it.  But, having finished season one and have continue well into season two, I can proudly say I’m enjoying this gory, action-packed, thrill ride.  And so I give Attack on Titan as a whole 8.5 out of ten.  I won’t touch on the animation that much cause let’s face it, the animation is amazing but not the real focus of the show.  That focus would be the story.  And no other season tells the Attack on Titan story better than season two.  Again, new titans appear, secrets are revealed, and everything you thought you knew from season one will change.  Each episode provides a puzzle piece to add to the picture, but the end always leaves one or two more pieces to place in the next episode.
As for downsides, it’s pretty much the same: season one is still kind of slow.  Again I say, if it takes half a season to plug a whole in a wall, it’s taking too damn long.  And as I said in my Talkative Thursdays video, I’m not a very patient person by nature; I’d rather get to the point than wait half of season one to find out what happens.  And while there were other factors that ruined season one for me, that was one of the big ones.  Season two thus far has been pretty flawless, and if you watched my video, you’ll probably know that I openly recommended season two over season one.  Then again, you’ll have to watch season one to really understand what’s going on.  But believe me, it’s worth it!
So what more can I say about this show expect go watch it now if you haven’t seen it yet?  Well, nothing more really.  Season two is currently airing on Cartoon Network’s Toonami block in English,and sites like Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Hulu offer the second as well as the entire first season in Japanese and English as well.  And of course, if you want a hard copy of season one, it’s available wherever anime is sold.   Well, that wraps up this week’s much anticipate review…well, for me anyways.  Stay tuned next week for a more light-hearted, AOT review on it’s parody Attack on Titan Junior High(yeah, expect this to be a theme this month)!

-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?