Characters of the Month: Reiner Braun and Bertholdt Hoover



Greetings ladies and gentlemen!  I have to admit I failed to look at a calendar this month, because I apparently failed to realize that today would be the last Sunday of June, and yet I proudly announced last week that I would be doing a re-review for this week’s post.  Oops.  But don’t worry, that post is still on the schedule, just for next week!  Anyways, back to this week’s post.  So it’s been pretty obvious that Attack on Titan was the running theme for June.  After all, season two has been streaming for the past few months now, so it’s been a big deal lately.  And I can definitely say this season has made me change my feelings towards the show, mostly because of two characters.  So it made no sense to me to just pick one for Character of the Month.  So enough rambling and let’s talk about this month’s Characters of the Month: Reiner and Bertholdt from Attack on Titan (WARNING: This post will contain spoilers if you haven’t watched season two yet!)!
Initially, both of these characters weren’t all impactful in season one, Bertholdt especially being the quietest character from that season.  But season two really put them in the spotlight, but probably not in a good way.  As it turns out, it is revealed that Reiner and Bertholdt are both the Colossal and Armored titans (Reiner being the Armored and Bertholdt being the Colossal).  After their reveal and one hell of a fight, they proceed to kidnap Eren, to which the audience is then treated to a story arc that shows just how insane and tormented these guys are.  Still, by the season two finale, the audience is still wondering who these guys work for and what exactly is their mission…unless you read well into the manga after season one ended, then you know the answer to those questions.
Bertholdt left, Reiner right
I’ll admit, I actually knew about Reiner and Bertholdt being titans.  So in some sense, I was waiting for the reveal.  And I was totally confused.  The actual reveal itself was pretty blunt and random.  In fact, watching the scene, I kept shouting “how come no one else can hear this?”  Still, it actually came to be one of my favorite moments from season two because it was such a pivotal moment after the fact.  Plus I have to admit, watching two side characters suddenly become key ones was a pretty impressive transformation.  And while they may go down as some of the biggest traitors in anime-get on a second video of that, Watchmojo!-, it’s hard not to love watching them.  And you’ll never look at season one the same way again, that’s for sure!  So you guys may be the greatest threat to humanity, Reiner and Bertholdt, but you’re also Hanime on Anime’s Characters of the Month of June!
So to wrap this post up, my promised re-review will be next Sunday and I’ll be sure to notify you guys should anything come up.  But until then, stay tuned!

-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?