The Shonen of Netflix: The Seven Deadly Sins


Greetings, ladies and gentlemen!  Welcome back to part two of Novembflix!  This week I took a break from witches, but still decided to keep the fantasy theme going with this week’s show.  I had already heard quite a lot about this show before watching it, so had pretty high hopes for it.  And while I wasn’t able to get too far into season one, what I was able to watch was…well…let’s just start the review and you’ll see what I mean.  Speaking of, let’s talk about The Seven Deadly Sins.
In the world of Britannia, a fantasy world where humans and creatures coexist, a sanction of knights known as the Seven Deadly Sins are wanted for plotting against the Liones Kingdom.  Ten years after their disbandment, one Princess Elizabeth is in search of them to stop the Holy Knights from starting an all-out war.  But in an unexpected stop at a bar, she finds the leader of the Seven Deadly Sins Meliodas, the sin of wrath.  After escaping a scuffle with some knights, Elizabeth, Meliodas, and Meliodas’s pet pig Hawk set out to find the remaining members.
Like I said, because of a busy and stressful week, I wasn’t able to go too far into this series.  So for the most part, I feel I maybe be missing some major plot points.  But that doesn’t mean I came away with a solid opinion on what I did see.  That being said, I give The Seven Deadly Sins a seven out of ten.  For the most part, I actually thought the show was entertaining.  There were some pretty cool action scenes- especially the fight scenes with the Sins.  Plus, Meliodas was the best character of the whole series!  Not only is he one of the protagonists, but he also makes great a hilarious comic relief character and lecher.  His pervy moments are pretty hilarious.  He reminded me a lot of Vash from Trigun.  But the only difference between him and Meliodas was that Vash seemed to embody three character troupes at the same time; Meliodas seems to only pull off two.  But again, best character of the whole series!
So yeah, I’ve obviously been very hesitant about my opinions on the show-besides what good things I’ve said about it.  But honestly, what really bothered me about the series was its just your average shonen anime.  There really wasn’t anything different.  It was pretty easy to spot the typical shonen troupes from a mile away.  So overall, it got boring pretty quick.  Still, there was a good bit of it that was interesting and entertaining, but it didn’t seem all that different or unique.  But if you like your everyday shonen anime, then I would definitely recommend this show.
So yeah, The Seven Deadly Sins wasn’t all that deadly, or original.  But it’s worth a watch for some great fun adventure.  Well, that ends this week’s post.  Stay tuned next week for my last review of Novembflix when I take a look at the sci-fi show from the studio that brought you Ajin, Knights of Sedonia!

-Hanime on Anime


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?