To Infinity and Beyond Confusing: Knights of Sidonia


Greetings, fabulous peoples of the Internet!  I’m back this week with the final part of Novembflix!  This week’s review was…interesting.  In fact, I think I’m still scratching my head at what I watched.  Granted, you guys know what this week’s show is, so there really isn’t any reason to beat around the bush.  So let’s get into this week’s review on Knights of Sidonia!
In a far distant future, the remnants of humanity live on a gigantic shuttle in the middle of space called Sidonia.  The series opens up with the apprehension of boy named Nagate Tanikaze after he is caught trying to steal rice.  As it turns out, Nagate had been living a under a rock for quite sometime; humanity has not only thrived but evolved, now having the capability to go one week without eating.  However, the residents of Sidonia suddenly come under threat when a massive space-dwelling creature called the Gauna is awakened and attacks.  With the Sidonia now in danger, Guardian pilots (including newly-inducted Nagate)-are called to fight the massive creature off with giant robots called Gardes.  And although he’s still looked down upon among other trainees, Nagate proves to be very efficient in piloting an older version of Garde called the Tsugumori.  He especially becomes an asset after he kills the invading guan.  However, this is only the beginning.
So…yeah, I’m not sure what happened in the creativity department with this show.  Like I said, I’m still scratching my head about this show.  And so, I give Knights of Sedonia a seven out of ten.  So yeah, I have a lot of concerns about this show.  But more on that later.  One thing that actually was good about this show was (believe it or not) the animation.  This isn’t in the sense that it was well done; Polygon Pictures used the same animation style that was later used for Ajin with no changes.  What was good about it was how fitting it was for the show.  Think about it; the setting is in outer space on a spaceship and it has giant robots fighting giant galactic monsters.  If there ever were an anime that screamed “animate me with CGI!,” it’d be this series.  The genre and subject are perfect for this style of animation, and every minute of it was just perfect!
Ok, I’ll get right to the point, what the heck is going on with the plot?!  There are so many plot holes early on that they’re distracting.  How were humans able to create talking cyborg bears?  How was human photosynthesis created in the realm of the show?  And could someone explain to me what the deal is with one of the secondary characters having the same gender-changing abilities as the African tree frogs mentioned in Jurassic Park?!  And oh yeah, what’s the back story to the Sidonia and the humans on board? Now I’ll admit, I didn’t get as far into this series as I would have like, but in any series, you should have a decent backstory in at least the first two or three episodes.  Instead, the first three episodes felt like things were being thrown at you with little to no explanation of their presence.  And again, I don’t know who was in charge of the creative department, but I think they went too far with the cyber-bear and the hermaphadite (who is obviously portrayed as a girl).  Still, I think it’s worth the watch, even if…you know forget, go to the wrap up.
Yeah, despite the fact that I had a hard time following what was going on, I think the animation should be enough to give this show a whirl!  And so, that wraps up this week’s review!  Tune in next week when I reveal Character of the Month for Novembflix!
-Hanime on Anime

P.S.: I realized last week I misspelled Sidonia.  Oops!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?