Hanime on Anime Celebrates Autism Awareness Month!

Hi everybody!  If you haven’t noticed already by the change in background, Autism Awareness Month starts today, and Hanime on Anime will be taking part in the festivities (well, sort of)!  Starting today and on every Wednesday in April, I will be doing a special portion of Hanime on Anime called “Hanime on Autism.”  In these special posts, I will be talking about autism and ASDs (autism spectrum disorders), because as a supporter, I find that not many people really know what autism is.  Nothing really special will be done with my usual reviews or discussion posts that I normally do for the month.  These will still be posted on Sunday as always.
Now many of you reading this post might be wondering, why celebrate Autism Awareness Month?  First off, I’ve come to know several people who have autism, or an ASD.  Oh, and I have a confession to make…



When I was fifteen years old, I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, a high functioning form of autism.  Asperger’s is also recognized as the highest functioning form of autism a person can get.  So, as you can imagine, autism is something that hits pretty close to home.  And finally, it is something that people should know about.  I when I started to come out telling people about having Asperger’s, I realized that not many people knew what autism, or Asperger’s for that matter, was.  Granted, there are organizations that do educate people on what it is, butI feel like many of them send out the wrong message when it comes to educating people on autism.  This event not only helps give people a little insight on what autism is, but also a perspective on what I go through on a regular basis as someone with autism.  Anyways, I’ll go a little deeper into that next week.
So until next time, be on the lookout for my “Hanime on Autism” posts, as well as some fresh new reviews!

-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?