Hanime on Autism: What can you do?


Hello, everybody!  Welcome to the final installment in my Hanime on Autism event.  This post will not only be the last post for the event, but it will also be what ends the event-not to mention the month.  This one will actually be short, mostly discussing what you can do to support autism awareness.  But before I get to that, you may or may not have noticed, but there obviously wasn’t a post on Sunday.  I actually was not planning on doing a review that day, but I had a big announcement about the newest event coming up next month.  But I forgot to post that…oops!  My excuse is definitely schoolwork; though the semester is coming to an end, I have all these projects and assignments and at least one exam to finish.  It’s a little hectic, so bare with me.  I will make that announcement later, but for now, let’s get back to my last Hanime on Autism post.
There are lots of ways to get involved in autism awareness.  You don’t necessarily have to do something big; the littlest act can go a long way.  And take it from me, I’m certainly not heavily involved in autism awareness, but I do little things to support it.  Here’s just some of the ways you can do that:
1.       Learn the facts about autism:  Knowing what autism is, how it affects people, and how to live with it is probably the simplest yet most effective forms of support. 
2.       Wear an Autism Awareness Ribbon: Another great way to show support is to wear an autism awareness ribbon.  In fact, it’s a tradition that I started last year.  Recognized for its red, yellow, blue, and sometimes teal colored puzzle pattern, the ribbon stands as a symbol for the complexity of the disability and the ongoing research for it.  Wear the ribbon once a day to help show support.
3.       Show your support: Don’t be afraid to be a little bit of a show off.  Google some autism awareness pics and post them to Facebook.  Wear an autism awareness shirt.  You don’t have to stop at wearing a ribbon!
4.       Spread the word:  Tell everyone you know about what autism is.  If you have the knowledge, don’t keep it a secret.  Talk about it. Heck, write about it.  Get out there and spread the word! 
Now, if you do want to get involved with a professional organization, I do recommend Autism Speaks.  I know I’ve said before I don’t feel that they do much help in Autism Awareness, but they do have excellent information that is helpful .They have the info, they just don’t advertise it like it should be advertised.
Well, I think with that much said, that’s all for this post!  This is what autism is and what I think of it.  And it’s also a glimpse of what I go through.  Now before I finish, I do have one last announcement.  I will elaborate on this a little more on Sunday, but for now, I’m going to be brief.  Next month will not only commemorate the one year anniversary of Hanime on Anime, but it will also start a new event. The month of May will be Miyazaki May, an entire month dedicated to legendary anime director Hayao Miyazaki.  The event will start May 10, 2014.  As I said earlier, I’ll have more details on this event this Sunday after my Character of the Month post-let’s just hope I can remember it this time!  Stay tuned till then!

-Hanime on Anime

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?