Hanime on Autism: Autism in General


Hello, peoples!  Welcome to my first official post of “Hanime on Autism,” where I talk about autism in celebration of Autism Awareness Month.  This week, I’m going to talk about the basics of autism, what it is, and my thoughts on it.
So first off, what is autism?  Well, according to experts, like those at Autism Speaks, autism is “a complex disorder of the brain…characterized, in varying degrees, by difficulties in social interaction, verbal and nonverbal communication and repetitive behaviors.”  So in a nutshell, people with autism have social problems.  Autism is also ranked on a spectrum, also known as the autism spectrum.  Most lower forms on this spectrum are severe enough to affect cognitive development.  There are also forms of autism that are on the high end of the spectrum.  Now Asperger’s Syndrome, which is what I have, is on the high end of the autism spectrum.  According to Autism Speaks, Asperger’s Syndrome has much of the same symptoms as autism, but does not have cognitive delays that often accompany it. 
And here are some other facts about autism (also from Autism Speaks):
·         Autism now affects 1 in 68 children and 1 in 42 boys
·         Autism prevalence figures are growing
·         Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disorder in the U.S.
·         Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average
·         Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism
·         There is no medical detection or cure for autism
So…what do I think of all of this?  Well, for one, I have never been able to pinpoint what autism is.  My definition of it mostly comes from what I’ve been told about it and it symptoms that accompany it.  Now, for Asperger’s, I’ve understood it as a severe social disability.  Granted, disability may be a strong word for many people with Asperger’s-myself included-, but it does present a lot of challenges for those who have it.  Still, looking at my life in general, having Asperger’s was almost never an issue. 
I know that throughout this post, I’ve quoted from Autism Speaks.   It’s true that I think that they are a great organization that promotes autism awareness.  But, at the same time, I feel like they don’t do enough.  The one big issue that I have with Autism Speaks is how they promote autism awareness.  In my opinion, they discuss autism in general.  Sure, that’s great, but what people need is a full scope of this disability.  When I came out about having autism, most people didn’t know about it.  Those who did looked at my completely different.  That’s because it seems that many organizations that promote autism awareness use the stereotype that autism is something negative.  Granted, for many, it is something that can be negative; I know for a fact that compared to other people with autism, I’m way better off.  Still, I can’t help but feel that organizations like Autism Speaks are going about promoting Autism Awareness Month the wrong way.  Mottos like “Let’s find a cure!” are offensive to me.  I’m not sick!  And I’m competent enough to understand what a phrase like that means.  Again, I know that there are other people out there with autism have it worse than I do, but that doesn’t mean that I should be lumped together in this stereotype that autism is a bad thing.
I won’t deny that I feel this way about promoting Autism Awareness.  But let’s face it, having autism doesn’t make you sick, it makes you different.  You see the world in a different way.  You do things in a different way.  And you know what?  THAT’S OK!  I mean, look at where I am.  I’m in school and doing well, I have a job, I have something of a social life, I even drive a car!  Sure, I’ve had my problems socially over the years, but otherwise, I’ve been doing great!  So instead of, “Let’s find a cure,” let’s just be aware.  Let’s get a full scope of what autism is.  Let’s not only cover the bad, but also the good.  Let’s show the world that having autism does not chain you to a life of dependence.  Let’s be aware that being different is a good thing!
Well, I think that just about ends this post on autism.  I’ll admit, I’m no expert on it, but that doesn’t mean I can voice my own opinion on it.   Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this post!  As always, stay tuned for another anime review as well as a new Hanime on Autism post next Wednesday.

-Hanime on Anime

Here's the links for Autism Speaks, where I got a lot of my information from:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?